Auto-Rx, Redline, and other nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]that is interesting, i recall ARx instructions from years ago were to use the cheapest dino oil for clean and rinse phase due to lower additives to avoid competition with ARx

+1 Interesting, another change in the directions. Synthetic oil was a major no no, why the change???? Any changes to the formula?

I spent some time doing a search on this.
MolaKule is a long time member here......check his profile and you will see that he is very well educated on the subject at hand.
If you want LOTS of educational reading, from his profile....click on "posts by".

He stated in a post that I had read quite some time ago that Auto-RX in a maintenance dose with Redline oils is still helpful.
This post from 2003 explains why.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...50388#Post50388
Poster: MolaKule
Subject: Re: How Well Does Redline Clean?

The synthetic esters in Redline are polar, meaning they attract themselves to metal surfaces.

Synthetic esters such as POE's are naturally cleaning chemicals. For Redline, the formulated oils do not need to have as much detergent/dispersant additives since the base oil esters do their share of cleaning.

Now the natural esters in Auto-Rx have a greater affinity for carbon and sludge particles than do the esters in Redline.

Note, I read a number of posts by MolaKule that echo the instructions on the Auto-Rx website about using "dyno" oil for both the cleaning AND rinse phase......so CONTINUE what you are doing as per the instructions on the Auto-RX website.

I also asked Frank, the "Auto-Rx guy" about using Auto-Rx in a maintenance dose with Redline and he also stated that it would be helpful.

In this case, I believe the information in this older posts is STILL accurate and relevent now.
However, use care when reading older posts as motor oil is a moving target.....formulations change and some information from older posts will not be accurate today.

Another GREAT thing about Red Line Oil......if you visit their website, you can ask them specific questions about your application and they are very helpful.

As a side note, where I really noticed a improvement with Auto-Rx was when I used it in my automatic transmission (again, follow the automatic transmission instructions on the Auto-Rx website).

Originally Posted By: wiswind
I spent some time doing a search on this.
MolaKule is a long time member here......check his profile and you will see that he is very well educated on the subject at hand.
If you want LOTS of educational reading, from his profile....click on "posts by".

He stated in a post that I had read quite some time ago that Auto-RX in a maintenance dose with Redline oils is still helpful.
This post from 2003 explains why.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...50388#Post50388
Poster: MolaKule
Subject: Re: How Well Does Redline Clean?

The synthetic esters in Redline are polar, meaning they attract themselves to metal surfaces.

Synthetic esters such as POE's are naturally cleaning chemicals. For Redline, the formulated oils do not need to have as much detergent/dispersant additives since the base oil esters do their share of cleaning.

Now the natural esters in Auto-Rx have a greater affinity for carbon and sludge particles than do the esters in Redline.

Note, I read a number of posts by MolaKule that echo the instructions on the Auto-Rx website about using "dyno" oil for both the cleaning AND rinse phase......so CONTINUE what you are doing as per the instructions on the Auto-RX website.

I also asked Frank, the "Auto-Rx guy" about using Auto-Rx in a maintenance dose with Redline and he also stated that it would be helpful.

In this case, I believe the information in this older posts is STILL accurate and relevent now.
However, use care when reading older posts as motor oil is a moving target.....formulations change and some information from older posts will not be accurate today.

Another GREAT thing about Red Line Oil......if you visit their website, you can ask them specific questions about your application and they are very helpful.

As a side note, where I really noticed a improvement with Auto-Rx was when I used it in my automatic transmission (again, follow the automatic transmission instructions on the Auto-Rx website).

Originally Posted By: WoodenNickle
He recommends a longer cleaning cycle if using a synthetic.

When I used A-Rx synthetic oil was a no no. Reading through old posts you'll see what I'm talking about. There were also a few changes to the directions over the years as well. I'd stay clear of anything synthetic when doing the clean rinse with A-Rx.

As far as a maint dose that's another story. No need to add A-Rx or anything for that matter to a top quality oil like Redline.

Exactly......
Using a synthetic with Auto-Rx is not going to hurt anything, but it will not help.
In fact, it will reduce the effectiveness of Auto-Rx.
However, it is fine to use Auto-Rx in a MAINTENANCE dose with your choice of synthetic.

MoleKule's posts indicate that Auto-Rx in a Maintenance dose with Redline is beneficial, but I would agree with you, most likely not really needed with Red Line on a reasonable Oil Change Interval.

The Maintenance dose is 3 to 4 oz.....so a 12 ounce bottle will last 3 to 4 oil changes.

However.....again.....non-synthetic should be used for both clean AND rinse cycles for the best results.

Sweet. I am gonna use dino for both the cleaning and rinse cycle, I just wanted to see if it would be helpful to use Auto-Rx as a maint dose with Redline. My question has been more than answered and I greatly appreciate it guys. And as Wiswind brought up the subject, I was meaning to ask if it would even be worth running an ARx treatment through my transmission. I doubt the fluid has ever been changed because of the whole "Lifetime Fluid" B.S. I just hit 130k on it and the transmission still runs pretty [censored] smooth. I was thinking about running an ARx application in there and running Redline in there as well as I've it does wonders for transmissions and diffs. And unfortunately for me...it is and automatic lol

I used Auto-Rx with Redline D4 ATF and noticed a improvement in shifts in my automatic transmission.
It is good idea to clean out the fluid valves, which can develop buildup.
However, I WOULD change the transmission fluid after running the Auto-Rx for the mileage indicated on the Auto-Rx website.
It won't hurt to run it slightly longer, but you eventually want to change it at some mileage close to the indicated amount.

Just make sure that the Redline ATF you select is listed for use for the specific specification called for your transmission.....aka Mercon V, Dexron III, etc
You can ask Red Line through their website for further guidence if you are unsure.
I am VERY happy with the Red Line D4 in my particular application.

Another great upgrade would be a Magnefine filter in the transmission cooler line, if you can install one.
The Magnefine filters to a nominal particle size of about 35 microns, which is 2 times smaller than the best of the in-pan filters.....so it catches a LOT of particles that the in-pan filter does not.
It is also easy to install and change.

^Personally, I'd use any 'non' solvent based cleaner in a neglected transmission and follow the advice wiswind laid out in his experience. Instead of ARX, you could simply use Lubegard's Transmission 'flush', which can be driven around with as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back