Auto-Rx on a '00 Camry 2.2L 5S-FE (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time Auto-Rx on this vehicle. 87,000km. 2420km/3months on 12oz bottle of Auto-Rx cleaning phase and dino Toyota 10w30. This vehicle has only used synthetics at 5,000km OCIs. Smaller oil filter on left is before Auto-Rx. Larger oil filter on right is after Auto-Rx cleaning phase. So much for 5SFE being a notorious sludgemaker. Couldnt find any sludge! Broke up the filter element and still couldnt find any sludge. Last pick shows I finally found one miniscule bit of sludge caught between one pleat.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Please open up the filter after you have completed rinse phase what you see then will be quite different than the above photos.The sludge is liquified and laying on your oil lubricated rotating parts and needs to be rinsed off. Please revisit the"Heavy Oil Burning/Sludge Issues" and read them.
Did you buy product from our dealer in Singapore and did he help you with the application?

My theory is that with a fairly clean engine to start with, that the Rx liquifies any "sludge" to the point that when it is caught in the filter it is no longer in clump form therefore to the naked eye it looks just like normal oil loading in the filter. In this case it takes microscopic examination of the filter to actually see the remnants that are cleaned out. With this theory you have now essentially reset your engines cleanliness to zero miles again, with the benefit of having a broken in engine to boot, so now the engine ends up better than new!
Well it is a theory !

My theory is that synthetic oil at 5k KM OCIs will not deposit sludge. I imagine your engine was quite clean to begin with.
Only other way to see if ARX had benefits is to check before/after compression and MPG.

The otherway to determine the effectiveness of ARX is through oil analysis. Perhaps residual cleaning is suspended in the oil, with no particles large enough for filter capture.

To me it looks as though the filter has trapped at least if not more contaminants in a short clean cycle and also rinse, as there was accumulated in a much longer run on the synthetic.

There is no doubt in my mind that cleaning occured. The fiberglass type element does not show as well as paper elements. I would conclude that your maintenance regiment has worked well in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back