Auto RX , oil and long drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Long trips are perfect for Auto-rx treatments! From what I understand it does it's best cleaning with hot oil, so the more miles you do on the highway like that, the better cleaning you'll get.

Schmoe,

offtopic.gif

The Oklahoma forecast is for daily temps this weekend to be in the high 80's to low 90's.
You're not Eastern Cherokee by any chance are you?, 'cause you're talking to one.

These are good ideas hope it is of help
timzak
Member # 1547

posted June 25, 2003 01:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, I have a '95 Accent with 98K miles that has an oil consumption problem. The car has a history of abuse prior to my taking over the maintenance on it, and I've done a lot of research on AutoRX prior to deciding to purchase it.

Here is my game plan. Tell me if it is sound, or any tweaks that should be made.

[edit: the car manual oil recommendations run the gamut...5w30/5w40 for 100F and below...10w30/10w40/10w50 for -9F and warmer...20w40/20w50 for 32F and warmer]

I ran Motorcraft 5w20 in the car for the past 1000 miles as an experiment to see how the car would drive and how the fuel economy would be affected. The car runs well and fuel economy seems about the same as 10w30, but oil consumption seems to be up with the thinner oil.

Knowing that the AutoRX will be arriving probably early next week, I changed the oil last night to 10w40 Pennzoil. Since there was only 1000 miles on the PureOne oil filter and AutoRX wants a new filter when added, I put the PureOne back in for the few more days I'll be running the car before applying AutoRX.

When the AutoRX arrives, I'll put a new (oversize) filter in, add the AutoRX and top off with Penn 10w40 if needed.

After 750-1000 miles, replace oil and filter with more Penn 10w40 and another oversize filter. Drive 1500 miles, then add another bottle of AutoRX. Drive 750-1000 miles, change oil and filter.

After the two applications are complete, I'll keep an eye on oil consumption and if it improves, try moving back to 10w30 and see if the oil consumption gets worse again. If it does not improve, I'll stick with 10w40.

Opinions appreciated.

MoleKule,
No, just your average white boy transplanted into Oklahoma working for the military. Have a bunch of friends that are Kiowa. Not a lot of Cherokee's here. I'm really DOWN south, 30 min's from Texas border.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Long trips are perfect for Auto-rx treatments! From what I understand it does it's best cleaning with hot oil, so the more miles you do on the highway like that, the better cleaning you'll get.

But what about Joe's comment, makes sense and it can be true from previous post. What if the filter clogs on me running down the highway at 70 mph for 12 hours? Engine has never been cleaned out before, just standard 3K oil and filter changes. Really would hate to have that filter go into bypass mode for that duration. You still think it would be OK?
confused.gif

Schmoe put a new filter on add Auto-Rx to your existing oil, drive 750 miles and change your oil and filter. Nothing is going to happen to your filter in 750 miles remember Auto-Rx liquifies
all "crud' so there is nothing to stop up filter
oil screen, piston port.After oil change drive 1500 miles with nothing but oil in engine. Then add second bottle of Auto-Rx and drive 750 miles
and change out oil and filter, Auto-Rx application is done. You have restored compression ,increased combustion and to keep these gains at maximum performance use 3 ounces of Auto-Rx every oil change.

Shmoe,

No problem running auto-rx up to 1,500 miles. I've done it and so far the car ('98 Trooper) is still running great. But then again my Trooper does not have sludge so it might depend on the condition of your engine. If you have sludge then I would suggest a little precaution before doing so. Other than that just.....drive. Good luck!
smile.gif

OK, I know I'm beating this to death but I'm trying to suck all information that I can so that I can get a "warm fuzzy" on using this stuff for this amount of distance at one time. Frank, you said take out the filter...... OK, the oil now has about 2K on it, Pennz. 10W-30 with Purolator Plus. Would you STILL say it would be OK to drop the filter and then put a bottle of RX in it, top of the oil and drive on my merry way? Go with cheap-o deluxe Fram filter??? I just can't get it through my skull that replacing 12 ounces with something other than engine oil would not harm the engine for a non-stop distance such as this. Believe me, I WANT to BELIEVE!!!!!! I need someone to tell me. Like Bror Jace said in an earlier post....."I vus just followink orders!"
This is almost like sex when you start anticipating you get all excited, but scared at the same time. Can ya'll
grin.gif
dig it????

[ June 25, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
OK, I know I'm beating this to death but I'm trying to suck all information that I can so that I can get a "warm fuzzy" on using this stuff for this amount of distance at one time. Frank, you said take out the filter...... OK, the oil now has about 2K on it, Pennz. 10W-30 with Purolator Plus. Would you STILL say it would be OK to drop the filter and then put a bottle of RX in it, top of the oil and drive on my merry way? Go with cheap-o deluxe Fram filter??? I just can't get it through my skull that replacing 12 ounces with something other than engine oil would not harm the engine for a non-stop distance such as this. Believe me, I WANT to BELIEVE!!!!!! I need someone to tell me. Like Bror Jace said in an earlier post....."I vus just followink orders!"
This is almost like sex when you start anticipating you get all excited, but scared at the same time. Can ya'll
grin.gif
dig it????

Schmoe,

I know what you mean...my autorx hasn't arrived yet and I'm already mapping out how I'm going to apply it.

Regarding the comparison to sex...maybe if you're talking about the first time with a particular girl, but I'm married, so there's nothing frightening about it anymore.
tongue.gif

You know when I joined this board, I told myself that I would never turn out just like "the others." Shoot me now.
tongue.gif

Frank, dude, got to love your confidence and in no way whatsoever am I dogging your product. The reputation that I have read from this board alone speaks volumes to me. Word of mouth still means a lot to me. I'm just, well, nervous, scared and fact gathering. I've never done anything like this before. OK, I'm done.
cheers.gif

quote:

It's about 840 miles one way. Was thinking about dropping the oil, put in Auto RX, probably a Fram filter, refill with my regular Pennz. 10W-30 and changing it out before I had back next week. What do ya'll think? Is that too long of a drive in one shot for the Auto RX???

I think your plan sounds real good, and I'm totally with Patman yet again. Franks' input may tweak the plans just a wee bit, IMHO it's an A+ plan that frankly I envy a bit.
I will be asking y'all for input on a similar plan for a fall 'enema' and just the thought of whether to have the word enema in a message title has delayed my posting nearly a month
blush.gif

Fixing to make a Tennessee run this weekend to see Dad from Oklahoma with the "older" car that could use the Auto RX love and willing to try it. It's about 840 miles one way. Was thinking about dropping the oil, put in Auto RX, probably a Fram filter, refill with my regular Pennz. 10W-30 and changing it out before I had back next week. What do ya'll think? Is that too long of a drive in one shot for the Auto RX??? I've read some posts where some folks had to change out at 500 miles and then I've read some that have changed it out at 1500 miles? Maybe I should just wait until I get back to do this? Since I'll be replacing some of the oil with the Auto Rx, maybe I should wait because that long of a drive, engine might need the oil?????? Car is a V6. 3.3l, 1990 with 173K on the clock.

I would recomend sticking to the application instructions as much as possible.

If your worried about it acting funny durning a long trip, just this last weekend I went 500 miles in a single shot and the car ran great, theres nothing to worry about there.

Considering you have so many miles on the car it could be really nasty in there. So maybe changing the filter a couple times during this trip would be a good idea.

I appreciate your questions and will try on this post to help . Auto-Rx is NOT a petroleum or solvent based product, what this means is that it has no chemistry that will change your oil's chemical properties, you can't hurt your engine or your transmission by not using enough Auto-Rx or overusing Auto-Rx in your oil reserve.(less changes application results,more wastes money ) Auto-Rx works on ratio's and when you follow application instructions we guarantee results.Auto-Rx uses your oil as a carrier, it does not become part of your oil chemistry,abrasives,dirt,contaminants are held in suspension in your oil and driven to your filter, thats why you need to start off with
clean filter and change filter per application instructions. Auto-Rx is non hazardous to you ,your,car and the enviorment.

OK brother I get it. Feel better after understanding the functionality. Going to go for it. I'll stop off and get a Fram filter and do what you said.

I'm with you on that!!!! But, I see no sense in buying a good filter that I will use for 800 miles and then chunking away. With the RX, I think the Fram is good enough to collect all the junk in the engine. Once finished with RX, I'll go back to Purolators.

quote:

OK brother I get it. Feel better after understanding the functionality. Going to go for it. I'll stop off and get a Fram filter and do what you said.

Schmoe,
Might I recommend using a filter other than Fram(Purolator, Wix, OEM). Check the posts in the filter board to find out why.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back