Auto-Rx in Auto trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a Chev. Silerado with auto/overdrive auto trans. 2000 year model with 29K for mileage. Transmission developed severe overdrive chatter/slipage at 50 miles per hour, when lightly accelerating or climbing a grade.
Second problem, when braking to a stop trans would act like I was stopping a manual transmission without depressing the clutch or shifting into neutral. I have added 6 ounces of ARX to the trans., within 200 miles the overdrive chatter has gone away. Stopping the truck has gotten much better, however not perfect. Or at least not yet. Any helpful hints from the transmission experts out there?

I plan to purge the fluid out at 500 miles.

I would have recommend installing new fluid (just removing the 3-5 quarts, no pan drop) before I started the ARX since the old fluid may have been oxidized.

Thanks Ken2 and Molecule. I will run it longer, or at least till the point where I see no further improvement. The fluid really din't have a burnt smell or cloudiness to it, but thats not to say the trans isn't gummed up internally. I was really ready to accept my trip to the bone yard for a replacement, but am quite optomistic that this one is salvageable. The drive train has obviously really been hammered. I have transfer case issues as well. In four wheel drive the front end acts like a rear end running a spool. Severely impeeds steering. Any recommendations for treating the transfers case before I start.
Sounds like a poor purchase, but I bought the unit far below retail, so fortunetly I have alot of room($) for repairs.

I had the same reaction on a 85 Olds
with 20,000 on the clock.Replaced the Torque Converter Solenoid.
Pan has to be removed to replace
Solenoid.Good Luck......
mad.gif

Thanks for the tip on the solenoid. However I'm now at 680 miles on the application and the problem has gone away. I will run the application to 1000 or miles before purging all the fluid.
On another note. I hear through the grape vine that there is going to be a change in pricing on the Auto-Rx volume deal. It will be effective Sept. 1. The third bottle will become $9.97, rather than the 5 bucks.

Rick20
Talking to Frank about another clean on my 95 PSD and using 3 bottles for my 15 quart sump. He stated that the cost of the ingredients has gone up 100% percent. So the price increase of only $5 on a 3 bottle special is very small. I am glad that he is not passing the full increase and willing to absorb most of it. So my only recommendation is to be sure and order before 1 Sept. If you can not, then the increase is small.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back