Auto-Rx in Acura tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am itching to add auto-rx into my acura integ tranny. It has 120K. I wonder if I could get good benefits from it. I am on cleaning phase right now in my engine.
Thanks
Gerard

I've never used it in a tranny but know a few people that have and were pleased with the results. Check the A-Rx website for specific directions, and follow them. Good luck and welcome to BITOG.

I can personally recommend using ARX in your tranny. Will you be able to do a full flush after the 1000 mile treatment? Does the current ATF still have enough useful life, or is it shot?

I used it in my AT in my S 10 pickup, and the shifting improved, also the torque converter started to lock up at a lower road speed.

i did this at about 80,000 miles

I thought the Honda tranny is quite picky. If there are no problems, I'll go ahead and add 6oz of auto-Rx into my tranny and flush it after 1K miles.
Thanks.
Gerard

I have run ARX in my Honda Odyssey 5-speed several times, with noticeable benefits. Some "whirring" noise went away - my guess is the fluid pump vanes were cleaned. Shifting is smooth. Recommended.

I actually just finished up an transmission treatment w/ ARX, in my Mark VIII. I ran it too long~about 1700 miles. I didn't flush on my car because it has a torque converter drain plug. My mechanic was able to get about 90% of the fluid out, and replaced the filter.

The trans is shifting great, and has really smoothed out. I attribute this to the ARX, and the synthetic trans fluid that I put in.

Go for it!

I'm not sure the filtration set up on a honda trans., but do drop the pan and change out the filter if it has one, or at least clean the screen.

So what is the best sequence here. Drop the pan and change the filter followed by flush or vice versa?

Gerard

That's what I'd do. Most of the garbage will be in the pan. Clean it out, then do the cooler line exchange.

so:

Auto-Rx for the prescribed mileage (some have gone way longer- but
21.gif
)
Drop pan and change filter (if so fitted)
Refill and do cooler line exchange.

Consider getting a Magnefine in line filter. Very compact and worth the money (about $20+/-) - imo

I would:

Add ARX
drive for 1k miles
Drain
Remove pan and clean
Remove Filter screen assembly
REPLACE FILTER SCREEN ASSEMBLY,O-RING, (and new pan gasket if used)
refill with ATF

I would replace the filter screen since the mesh will probably be coated with friction disk resin, which appears to just make the screen caramel colored, but does reduce flow. This normally wouldn't be an issue, but you may continue to have solids break free and get trapped at the filter.

Whenever cleaning out a trans you run the risk of debris cloging the valve assembly (requiring a power backflush or disassembly) but this is rare in my experience, and from 1st hand accounts of others.

Saturns had spin off trans filters (awesome idea), and most Asian cars dont use a pan, just a drain plug and fill plug.

In cars without a pan which can be removed, I would ARX, drain, fill with cheap ATF, drive for another 1k miles, drain, and refill with quality ATF. All this will do is remove a few more solids from the trans that could potentially add restriction to the uncleanable, permanent, pick up screen.

Just by having new fluid in there, you will probably notice an improvement in shift quality.

I plan on running A-Rx in my tranny for the suggested 1000 miles, do a line flush. Then I'll drop the pan, clean it, and replace the filter. I like the idea of doing the filter last in a car that has a filter.

AD

Originally Posted By: benjamming
How are you dropping the pan on a Honda transmission?

I was referring to "my" transmission, and how I planned on doing it.

AD

No problem, sometimes these threads go off in different directions. It is good to see how people use these products and their feedback. I like the idea of a line flush, and a pan drop and filter replacement when ever possible.

AD

Please keep in mind that the Integra doesn't have a pan that you can drop. You change out ~2.5 quarts by pulling the drain plug located behind the front passenger wheel then filling through the dipstick hole, located below the air filter housing and ABS modulator (if so equipped). I wouldn't try it in my Integra transmission, but that's just me. Mine has been well maintained since new so I'm not too worried about it. Shifts perfectly at 150k, running Amsoil ATF. If your transmission is working fine, I would personally skip the Auto-RX and just do a few drain/refills with Honda Z-1 or Amsoil ATF and call it a day.

ThirdeYe: Have you tried Redline MTL in the Integra? I don't know what year vehicle you have, but I can attest to how well Redline MTL works in a 1988 Integra, summer and winter, in Ohio and Colorado. I've had no problems shifting whien it was 110 degrees, or 17 below zero. I'm running it now in my manual Saab900S.

I wonder what the difference is between the Redline ATF and Redline MTL, in terms of film thickness, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back