Auto-RX, Chrysler 3800, 173,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Chrysler Town & Country with a 3800 V6. There are 173,000 miles on the van, all but the first 1,000 miles run with Mobil 1 5w30 and Purolator Pure One or Mobil 1 oil filters. Looking in the oil fill hole the top end is clean as a whistle, oil consumption has 1 pint in 5,000 miles from the start and has not changed over time. At 10,000 miles the oil would be down a pint and look dark amber on the dipstick.

Based on the above I figured that an Auto-RX application would do me little good but based on the reports from other BITOG it also would do no harm.

I had 12,000 miles on the latest batch of Mobil 1 5w30 (7.000 hiway miles) and decided to change to SuperTech 10w30 dino, add a bottle of Auto-RX, and put on a new Purolator Pure One filter.

I have now run 600 miles with the Auto-RX in the engine. The oil still looks very clean on the dip stick. I have noticed one change and I think it is significant. When going up an incline (not a mountain) with the cruise on the van would typically lose several MPH and then regain the speed upon reaching the top of the incline. With 600 miles on the Auto-RX the van loses maybe 2 MPH and regains the 2 MPH while still going up the incline. To me this is clearly an indication of added power.

It is too early to make a definitive conclusion on MPG but it seems the MPG is at least as good as it ever has been. Running 62.5 MPH (measured with GPS) with the cruise on I got 30.6 MPG on a 200+ mile run non stop from Michigan to Indiana in 85 to 90 degree temps with no AC. There was very little wind and the starting and ending elevation was within 300 feet of each other. I am running 87 octane unleaded with FP60 at 1 ounce per 5 gallons.

I will be making this same trip twice next week and will watch the MPG very closely. By the end of next week I expect to be at about 1,500 miles and ready to start the first rinse phase.

So far I am pleased with what I see. It will be interesting to see what the rinse phase brings. I will be rinsing with SuperTech 5w30 dino and a Purolator Premium Plus filter.

Even if you do not see any significant "cleansing" effect for AutoRx (oil looks clean), you shall at least get some "peace of mind" with AutoRx.

Almost completed my 2nd AutoRx cleaning phase on my wifey's Camry Vee6 and I couldn't be any more pleased with the results...no more oil burning and engine is smooth as silk. No significant sludge cleanup but overall valvetrain has been quieter (3dB less then before using same Chevron 87 octane gas and same motor oil).

Perhaps your ring packs were carboned up. Even synthetics will fry in the ring area, due to very high heat. This is the area that the slow cleaning ARX product is the fastest. Alot of heat and pressure makes this the easiest point in a motor for ARX to clean.

I noticed the same thing on every vehicle I've used it in Ugly. You'll really notice a differince when using engine braking to slow you down on hills.

That's great, Ugly3! I hope to achieve good results in my older Subaru, too, particularly with compression.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
...overall valvetrain has been quieter (3dB less then before using same Chevron 87 octane gas and same motor oil).

Wow!! Using a decibel meter to evaluate the effects of ARX... that's a new one for me, and HIGHLY impressive. It will be difficult to top that!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbox:
Hmmm... 3dB quieter? Does that mean the noise is half of what it was?

3dB is half the power. Half the preceived volume requires a 10dB drop, which is approximately a factor of 10 times less power. Look here, top of page 2:

Physics of Sound

Update: On the way to MI I got 30.5 MPG running 61.MPH, the temps were in the mid 80's. On the way home I got 28.2 MPG running 62 MPH, the temps were in the low 50's.

The "power" is continuing to improve. Now there is no drop in speed when going up an incline, in fact it gains a little speed while going up and slows again on the way down.

I finished the first clean phase today (1800 miles) and will change the oil tomorrow to SuperTech 5w30 and a new Purolator Premium Plus filter. I am going to cut the old filter open and have a look but I am not expecting to see much as the oil is still pretty clean.

I am going to make the same trip again next week and we'll see what happens.

Update: Opened up the filter (Purolator Pure one) from the Clean cycle. Nothing, nada, zilch, zero crap in the filter, not a chunk of anything. Just the media colored the same as the oil.

Now I am wondering if a second clean phase is advisable.

Update: At 500 miles into the rinse phase the oil is absolutly clean, not dardened a bit. Power continues strong as there is no drop off in speed going up inclines. Running 65 MPH, low 60's temps, no wind to speak of, I got 28.2 MPG. Slowing down to 60 MPH in the same conditions I got 31.1 MPG. The MPG now are as good or better then the van ever has gotten. Not running with FP60 for these tests.

Update: At 1,500 miles into the rinse phase the oil is still "clean" on the dip stick, no darkening at all. Power remains strong and MPG is as good as it ever has been and I am running Wal*Mart 10w30 conventional oil. Looks like no second application for me.

I have run some ARX thru my 96 civic, I use it for commuting and I never thought it really needed it as it only had 104,000kms when I started the clean. I am almost finished the clean and do notice a tad increase in mileage, nothing to crazy though. The oil is still clean with 6,500 kms on the oil (Mobil 1) I am sure the rinse will show the same results as yours.

Auto-Rx chemistry has been used up on the first application. Do the second application of Auto-Rx as called for than post again you have not cleaned out your engine yet.When finished go on the 2 ounce Auto-Rx Maintenace Plan. Post Again

Follow-up: Have run 5,000 miles since completing the Auto-RX program (one application). The van has consumed 1/2 quart every 5,000 for as long as I can remember.

In this last 5,000 miles there was no consumption (always Mobil 1 5w30). All looks very well so far.

Thanks for the follow-up post! I'm impressed and happy for you. I had to sell my Subaru so I didn't get to see benefits following the application, but my compression was restored to factory specifications by Auto-RX. I find it to be an excellent product!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back