Auto RX, but car requires Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously I had Auto-Rx'ed my 98 Subaru Outback and 03 Acura TL-S. After treatments I put in synthetic oil. I don't own either cars anymore. Got a 01 Audi S4 a couple months ago and was going to Auto-RX it but the car, with a twin turbo requires synthetic oil. I didn't want to put in dyno oil to do the treatment. Now I own a 04 Caddy CTS-V and it's recommended that one use Mobil 5-30.

Should I do treatment with synthetic oil? Do you think it's ok to use dyno oil in cars that the manufacturer suggested to use syntetic? Car has 61,000 miles. The other day I put some Seafoam in the crankcase (45% of a can) to clean it out and will do an oil change right away (about 150 km driven). Car dynoed fine, do not lose oil.

Dino will be fine for the short clean/rinse but you can use a Group III syn if you want to. I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my BM for RX clean/rinse. Penzzoil Platinum is probably the same oil imo so maybe use that?

Pennzoil Platinum is a recommended choice if you must use synthetic. I would not hesitate to use dino for short 3000 mile oil change even if synthetic is required. Just make sure to get viscosity right. Syn oil is mainly necessary for those long oil change intervals recommended by the manufacturers.

Why isn't the maintenance dose effected by using full synthetic oils then? After a clean rinse cycle you can return to using full synthetic oil and a 3-4oz maintenance dose of A-Rx. I'm just wondering why?

Frank D

Because you are not in cleaning mode with the maintenance dose so the chemistry issue does not come into play.

Isn't the chemical still cleaning/keeping things clean, only not as much as a full dose? Its still the same chemistry in a lesser concentration?

Frank D

After you complete full cleaning of engine.Internals can work with synthetic and Auto-Rx Maintenance Dose will continue to keep engine clean.

It would take to many Auto-Rx maintenace Applications to achieve one complete cleaning.

Ok, the lube shop didn't have PP so I put in 5w30 Syntec. Will do the clean/rinse and then go back to M1.

One thing I noticed is with the fresh oil change my oil pressure is actually lower than what I had with M1, 30% oil life remaining.
Sitting at 220 kpa at idle, and about 350 kpa at 3000 rpm.

The rinse phase on the back of a cleaning cycle is where non synthetic oil is best. Non polar mineral oil works best in rinsing. Notice I said best. Group IV's typically contain esters which are typically polar, which means an attraction to many metal components. Foir the ideal rinse non ploar is better. This is why ARX recommends group III synthetic oils. In either case if you have contaminants to dissolve in your oiling system ARX will work regardless of host oil run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back