Auto RX at 400 miles in BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the appearance of the oil look like? Is there any engine noise during cold start, while the oil pressure light is on? It is possible that during the cleaning process the indicator light sensor may have become dirty. Are there any other indications of low oil pressure or low level of oil?

It is not likely that the Auto-Rx has anything to due with the dashboard light warning at start up. However it should not be ignored. At start up, if possible check through the valve cover and be sure that oil is pumping to the top of motor. If so, then complete the 500 mile treatment and purge and refill.

Tell us about your vehicle, miles, maintenance, and why you thought to cleanse the motor. I have heard good comments on this board from BMW owners.
BMW owners chime in.

I picked up this BMW used. It's a 1994 and was dealer maintained on a steady diet of Castrol GTX 20w50 every 3k miles or 3months and not by the cars own oil change indicator. I picked it up in Feb. 2002 and put 10k miles on it. I ran M1 15w50 in it for two 3k miles changed the filtyer and ran M1 15w50 in it again for another 3k miles. Then Amsoil 20w50 and a new filter for 4k miles. After this AutoRX I plan on using Amsoil 10w40 and Redline 10w40 and see how the UOA compare.

There is no noise at startup and oil is pumping o.k. I can look into the valve cover and see the chains moving (DOHC 4.0l V8) and they are wet with oil as soon as I turn the key.
smile.gif

I wonder if I can do a UOA with the Mobil Delvac 15w40 even though it has AutoRX in it...

Sure you can sample the oil with Auto-RX being used. Wear #s lower, and oxidation increased are some variations while in use. RX will not change the chemistry of the host oil so UOA will look like normal Delvac .

My Auto RX treatment with Delvac Super 15w40 is approaching 400 miles. I noticed that my oil pressure warning lamp is on Alot longer during startup. I was worried so I took the lid off the filter housing (has cartridge style filter, not spin on) and the filter looks almost like new. I did not change it, however. Now I'm even more worried....

We are at 730 miles today with the Auto-Rx treatment. Havent used any oil and a peek inside the oil fill cap shows ALOT of shiny metal and chain links that weren't so shiny before. I am preparing to change the oil and do a UOA before she hits 1,000 miles on the treatment.
patriot.gif

I forgot to mention that the oil press idiot light is no longer an issue. Also the sump of this sucker is about 9 1/2 quarts. I put in 9 quarts of Mobil Delvac Super 15w40 and 2 bottles of AutoRX with the new filter. That UOA bottle is calling my name!
grin.gif

[ April 19, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: 1maniac ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back