Auto RX and Castrol GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be a good idea to run a clean phase with Castrol GC? Or should I just run the maintance dose? The car in question is an 03 Cobra with 20,000 miles. I know that the engine is clean, but lets face it I am OCD....
I used the search function but....no dice
Also what would be a really good dino or syn for the rinse phase?

Thanks

If you want to fully clean the internals of your engine, you will have to run a full clean and rinse. A maintenance dose alone will not be enough. I believe GC is a Group IV base? If so, it won't work well as there will be competing chemistries. Stick with a Group II or III for the clean and rinse, then run the maintenance dose with GC thereafter.
55.gif

You should use any brand name SM/GF4 dino for both clean and rinse phases. If your car requires syn oil, then group III syn a=such as Valvoline Synpower, PP, Castrol Syntec ... can be used

This question has been asked several times on this website and on the ARX website. Frank's last recommendation that I saw was to use 3 ozs of ARX with a dino oil, and 4 ozs with a synthetic. This recommendation is as it relates to starting with a maintenance dose only on a reasonably clean engine.

The GC Syntec will do as much to clean an engine with 20K than ARX will - as long as you've properly maintained it...

And why add a maintenance dose of anything to great synthetic oil? Didn't people have a meltdown about adding something to SSO in another thread?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jtgrant
Would it be a good idea to run a clean phase with Castrol GC? Or should I just run the maintance dose? The car in question is an 03 Cobra with 20,000 miles. I know that the engine is clean, but lets face it I am OCD....
I used the search function but....no dice
Also what would be a really good dino or syn for the rinse phase?

Thanks

I've run GC for the clean cycle twice, and ran Pennz YB for the rinse. Worked great. Seems like the "directions" for Auto-Rx are evolving with more available history and now maybe you would want to run a regular dino (YB,GTX,Valvoline,etc.) for both cycles. Especially since the mileage duration is a bit longer.
Dunno on the maintenance issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back