auto parts catalog misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ever get wrong information from a parts catalog?

I wanted to use Bendix CT-3 ceramic brake pads, front and rear, on my 98 chevy pickup. Simple enough, right?

I search, the parts store searches... they find a part number for that variety pad for the front... nothing for the rear in the vendor catalog, some parts in the store's catalog.

Order some parts... Turns out the front pads do not fit at all. Wrong ones, different design, etc.

Every honeywell catalog and online catalog lists the wrong number.

Put in the same truck as a 2002, and not only do the right part numbers show up for front and rear, but they show the CT-3 parts for the front and rear.

Alas, was in the middle of the job, and now only have middle of the road Bendix CQ pads on. Much better than what I had before, with better bite, but being anal, they arent what I wanted, and this makes me unhappy. Ill get over it, Im sure, but it sure is annoying that all the catalogs are wrong...

I run into that problem. My F-150 is a 2004, ford still sold the old model in 2004 as a 2004. The two trucks have little in common except for some drivetrain parts. I've learned to just look for 2005 model year parts.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I run into that problem. My F-150 is a 2004, ford still sold the old model in 2004 as a 2004. The two trucks have little in common except for some drivetrain parts. I've learned to just look for 2005 model year parts.

My nephew has a Chevy truck that takes the wrong oil filter because his truck is a leftover or a premature, can't remember which. I think it's about 8 years old.
I had a '93 Aerostar that took '92 brake parts because it is a leftover. The only problem with that is my nearest parts store is 25 miles away. At the time, I took it out on the parts counter men, found out later that it wasn't their fault.

We looked at the paper catalog at the mechanic's shop. The catalog is off for four or five years at least!

Parts stores will ask for the vin on 2004 to 2008 Ford trucks when getting brake pads.One parts store in my area did this when looking up rear brake pads.Auto parts stores will be like the dealer in the future,order parts by the VIN.

i ask for a vin on almost every part i look up. on newer fords it eliminates any option. older ones it will at least give me the emissions calibration code, axle tag number. mazdas i get VINs no matter what.

i get a lot of customers that say "theyre all the same" when asking for a part. i had a customer say this about an axle seal for a taurus, when they said that i got up and grabbed an axle seal for a f350, they didnt laugh like i did.

I have a GMC truck in the crossover year - 2007. Classic and New Body Style were available in that year. When I do online searches, I always search a 2008 truck to make sure I get the right parts quote.

GM here and I have to agree with cardinal. Gotta have the VIN on almost everything.

We have more problems with misboxed parts than listing errors. We'd ordered a trim part 3 times supposed to be gray, kept coming in tan. We finally called GM and told them they had a colorblind person boxing parts.

Here's a good (long) one. This happened years ago:

I was looking for a replacement tail light socket for a 1988 Ford Econoline. Ford (at the time) sold replacement sockets where you just cut off the old socket and crimp on the new one.

My dad used to carry several of them on the shelf when he had his repair shop (BTW, the van in question was his). Unfortunately, he didn't have any on the shelf at the time.

I went to two Ford dealerships looking for a replacement socket. They both looked in the catalogs and told me they didn't have any. I finally made my way over to the Ford dealership that specializes in Ford commercial vehicles.

The parts guy tells me they have the socket. He goes in the back and come out with this big box.
54.gif

He opens the box and pulls out a foot long wiring harness with a socket attached (the wrong socket). Tells me that it's $98.
shocked2.gif

No. I'm looking for a socket for an 1157 bulb. He goes in the back again and brings back a small plastic bag with a white, plastic socket in it. That's what I'm looking for. IIRC, it was $12.
grin2.gif

He then tells me that Ford hasn't used this socket on their Econolines since 1986. I spent all afternoon on a Saturday looking for the wrong part.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
GM here and I have to agree with cardinal. Gotta have the VIN on almost everything.

We have more problems with misboxed parts than listing errors. We'd ordered a trim part 3 times supposed to be gray, kept coming in tan. We finally called GM and told them they had a colorblind person boxing parts.

those are the best calls, that or when a whole batch of brake pads are made wrong, or when an entire reman alternator part number wont fit the vehicle its designed for.

does GM have a software program where you can view other dealers inventories? ford does and its awesome for trim parts. you can call another dealer and have them look at it for you if the computer description sucks which it does about 99.99% of the time. also you can buy parts below cost since trim parts usually get ordered and sit for years on the shelf collecting dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back