Australian question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman,
driving style/transmission choice must have a bearing on it also.

Watching my parents drive off yesterday, Dad was running quite low revs, and moving off loaded up a hill. Came close to stalling, and you could hear the clacking detonation as he drove through the near stall.

His bearings must have copped an absolute pizzling in that instant.

Went for a walk down the street, and at every hill intersection, on the hot day, you could hear cars knocking through not enough revs to move away smoothly.

Maybe the heavier weights protect a little better under these extreme conditions, I don't know.

I agree, driving style would play a bit of a factor too. My wife for instance, doesn't listen to me and still drives her car hard just a minute after starting it. She might get better results running a 0w20 oil, especially with her short to medium sized trips.

I'm also regretting putting 10w30 in my mom's Probe GT this interval. I always put in 10w30 Mobil 1 in her car because she did so much highway driving before she retired, and she seemed to burn more oil with 5w30. But now she does a lot of really short trips, so I think 5w30 or even 0w20 or 5w20 would be better for her, especially in the winter.

Bob good post that! I think you a 5W40 quality oil is about as good a compromise as you will get. All the top syns here (Shell, Texaco/Havoline/BP) are 5W40 except Mobil 1 which is 5W50 (no thanks). Redline 5W40 has the best figures posted here that I've seen and there have been many analysis results now. The 5W goes with Bob's idea of quicker flow at startup etc and the 40W is a nice compromise between the 30W I just tried and the traditional Aussie 50W which even I now steer clear off (see even old dogs like myself can change). Something between CAFE type oils and our thicker is better and always been that way mentality seems sensible. Now I just need to find an oil that meets that 'sensibility'

Thanks for that link, Dragboat. Interesting to see that my 3800-II Supercharged has the same lube suggestion in .au as it does here.

That kinda helps out, though. After reading a bit i was thinking of migrating to 15w40, but that has been shot down. I just wish that Mobil 1's xw30 were a little on the thicker side...

ferb!

I think Bob makes an excellent point in that driving style may be a determinent in regards to ideal oil viscosity.

In Europe, maybe they use their excellent public transport for short trips and the daily commute to work while reserving the majority of the use of their private cars for high speed, long distance trips. Here, a heavy weight oil might be preferred.

Conversely, where there's a daily commute, either a short distance or with a good deal of stop and go, resultant engine dynamics yield overall lower wear numbers with a lighter oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back