Australian Passenger Car Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpb

Thought this may interest some of you, the top 20 new cars by sales volume for September 2014, as printed in Wheels magazine December 2014. (The figures are always a couple of months behind). Most of the cars will be familiar, but may be known by different names in the US. Note this is passenger cars only - vehicles such as HiLux, Ranger, etc. are classed as commercial vehicles and aren't included here. For reference though, HiLux would sit somewhere around number 3 if it was on this list.

1. Mazda 3
2. Toyota Corolla
3. Holden Commodore
4. Hyundai i30
5. Toyota Camry
6. Mazda CX-5
7. Hyundai ix35
8. Holden Cruze
9. Hyundai i20
10. Mazda 2
11. Toyota Prado
12. Jeep Grand Cherokee
13. Toyota RAV4
14. Volswagen Golf
15. Toyota Kluger
16. Toyota Yaris
17. Mitsubishi ASX
18. Subaru XV
19. Mitsubishi Lancer
20. Ford Focus

No Falcon on that list
frown.gif
Ford pulling out of V8 Supercars saddened me to no end.

Interesting.. No Nissan or Honda at all.
Surprised to see the Focus so low on the list. I would think it would be higher here in North America at least.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
No Falcon on that list
frown.gif
Ford pulling out of V8 Supercars saddened me to no end.

Me too. And Falcon hasn't been selling well for many years now, unfortunately, which no doubt hastened its demise.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Interesting.. No Nissan or Honda at all.
Surprised to see the Focus so low on the list. I would think it would be higher here in North America at least.

Honda is in a rebuilding stage here at the moment, after a few years of underwhelming and overpriced vehicles. They've slashed prices of late, and are throwing more equipment in as standard, so hopefully they'll pick up. As for Nissan, they've had some really forgettable stuff lately - I think sales of Navara prop them up, and the rental companies buy lots of their economy cars, i.e. Micra and Pulsar.

Focus has never done particularly well here, nor has Fiesta or Mondeo. Much like Nissan, it's the Ranger commercial range that keeps them afloat.

No Suzuki Swift? They have bumped the Corolla off the top of the small car list some months, very popular here. The Euro Fords sell well here, mainly fleet buyers because of the 20,000km service interval.

Suzuki is barely a blip on the radar here, surprising really as they make decent cars at good prices. Their overall sales performance (for Sept 14) was lower than Mercedes, BMW, Audi... Yet things are much different across the Tasman, go figure!

You are joking, right? If not, then no, Holden is the Australian arm of General Motors. Holden Commodore is imported to the US as the Chev SS.

No joking.
China does sell vehicles in Australia though I believe.
We have read that they will soon export to North America very decent priced vehicles.

We do indeed get Chinese made cars here, Great Wall and Chery (correct spelling) are the 2 brands that spring to mind. Have never seen a Chery in person. Quite a lot of Great Walls on the road around here though. Have never driven one, nor do I know anyone who owns one, but honestly, I think for the money they are ok. BUT they are definitely NOT Holdens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back