Australia Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember we have old cars here as well, Holdens, Fords, Toyotas, all ran probably on 20w50 most their life. Cars are still maintaining their fuel eco specs as well from new with the 5w40 and above. As Chainsaw said, Fuchs are the only one with the 20w oil and i have never seen a bottle of it though.

Only beef i have is we pay alot for good oils, Group 1 still used extensively, even in the SM stuff. But cars still lasting long time, as they would have in U.S on the older gear.

Last edited:
most countries int he world would still specify what yanks call "thicker" oil. these include south america, africa, europe, asia, and oceania.

it's just NA and japan that seems to be on the 20 wt wagon.

I can use 10w-30 to 20w-50 in my 2AZ-FE because of the climate. It is a similar climate to much of the south east USA.

Much like Australia and New Zealand, we use thick oil here as well. In fact, quite a portion of our cars are sourced from Australia - Camry, Magna, Caprice, Commodore, Aurion, etc.

The most common grades one can find is 20W-50 for Japanese offerings running conventional, and 10W-30 for Ford and Chrysler products. Majority of GM engines here run 20W-50. Fuchs 15W-40 is also available for German vehicles running conventional oil.

As far as synthetic is concerned, the thinnest one can find is 5W-30, and the thickest being 10W-60 offered by Castrol and Liqui Moly. In between you have 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50, 10W-50, 15W-50.

The thinnest engine oil your likely to find here OTC is the 5w30 grade eg Mobil 1, Valvoline Duraguard, Castrol Edge.

The 0w30 grade is available but you need to have it ordered in.

Fuchs 0w20 is available but at $80 for 4L too expensive.

The Mobil 0w40 is readily available but at $92 for 5L it’s too expensive.

The most common grades are the 10w30 and 15w40 in mineral and 5w40 grade in the synthetic (Shell Helix, Castrol Havoline, Mobil 3000, Valvoline Synpower etc).

20w50 is still around but not highly stocked on the shelves as it used to be.

Mobil 1 5w50 is the still the best seller for synthetic. Penrite recently released a 5w50, Group 3, "Everyday Synthetic Range".

Most dealers I know don’t like 10w30 and use a 15w40 instead.

The 10w40 grade is quite a common recommendation for cars 5years and older. The 10w40 grade is the one that John Rowley former Chief Research Chemist for Fuchs recommends.

As previoulsy mentioned Castrol make a 10w60 and Penrite make a 5w60 in their SIN range, but even speaking to the respective Technical Helpline they don't recommend these thick grades unless extreme conditions prevail such astrack use or racing.

Last edited:
"But cars still lasting long time, as they would have in U.S on the older gear."

I really don't think there's much to be said that the older oils are better than the new. But even that doesn't matter. Cars in the US don't die because the engines wear out. They either die because of rust because we salt the roads in winter, or they die because something breaks or they get into an accident, and the cost of repairs outweights the cost of the car. Or just because the owner wants a new car and there is no value left in the old.

"Thin" oil isn't ruining our cars. Most cars can (and do) drive themselves to the junkyard here. Perhaps the vanity that drives the value of older cars so low is.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's pretty simple.

Aussies have "thicker is better" mentality. No logic really. They'll come around with enough time.

They also experience a very different climate than North America and I'd probably use a slightly thicker oil in that environment as well. Although from what I've read, I think that they are actually getting "thinner" to some extent as the Outback residents talk about 0/5W-40 more often than 25W-70 here...
04.gif

Last edited:
As you can see, all us Ozzies are on the same page hehe, and Kuwait and Australia are much close than we think !
wink.gif
(All one planet at the end of the day...)

Price is probably one of the biggest limiting factors here in Oz. Thinner you go, the more it cost.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
... Price is probably one of the biggest limiting factors here in Oz. Thinner you go, the more it cost.

I think this is because everyone over there feels that thicker is better and the lower visc. oils are less popular and thus more expensive because there is no demand.

Its a little bit of everything you all have stated. The mentality, the climate, the use of diesels and the higher number of older cars. ect.

Australians just haven't figured out that they're getting no better protection with that super thick junk. It may eventually happen. Maybe.

Depends on the application, the additives, film strength ect..

I strongly believe a 15w50 is going to give more "protection" than a 0w20. Although, it may not be noticeable in a 4 door sedan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember back in the 80's where Castrol 20w50 was the oil to run.It seemed like everybody used it. I did in an old Chevy until one particularly cold morning it took forever to start.
I was not convinced on 5W20 until I saw the many UOAs on this site that showed that it worked just as well as 5W30. Sometimes it takes the 'group think' a long time to change.

Last edited:
I'm running Delo 400 LE 15w40 in the truck right now. She's running great.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Australians keep there cars much lomger than you guys and we run much, much longer OCI's.

Exactly. I'm all for thicker oils. I really wish they sold Penrite in the US.

Ah, I'm horrible at finding these oils online. This is the second time I was correct about having certain oils in the US. Thanks once again BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back