Audi/VW aliminuim head porosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All been a while since I have posted work never ends

I seem to have a problem with my 06 Audi A3 2.0 TDI cooling system

I seem to be topping up the coolant weekly and no leaks or wet patches to be found

Some forums say EGR cooler and a lot talk about the aluminum heads getting porous with age the car has 195.000 k,s on the clock

Some people might think that a lot for me its not run in yet the wife's jeep with MB/OM642 engine is just clicking 285.000 k,s and is going better than ever my Jaguar X300XJR6 S/C has 250,000 k,s and feels better than when I bought it new so k,s /mileage is irrelevant if the engine is looked after

It seems the VAG TDI BKD engines seem to get porous aluminum heads when the get up in the mileage the car has always had Audi service religiously new timing belt at 173,000 k,s which would have meant water pump and coolant as well

The engine is running sweet so don't want to pull it apart had been told by a race car engine builder with 30 years experience to use the Irontite ceramic seal tried looking on bitog to see if anyone had used it or had similar problems with a VAG group 2.0 TDI engine seems I am the first

Any tips or info would be appreciated

That engine Are known to have notorious bad cyllinder heads, they crack really often. It,s Probertly the most common VAG engine here. So we see all the problems.

Unfortunately that's only one of it,s problems. Bad turbochargers and flywheels are also very common.

I would pull apart and get the head tester.

Originally Posted By: XJR_Boy
I seem to have a problem with my 06 Audi A3 2.0 TDI cooling system

I seem to be topping up the coolant weekly and no leaks or wet patches to be found

Some forums say EGR cooler and a lot talk about the aluminum heads getting porous with age the car has 195.000 k,s on the clock ..... Any tips or info would be appreciated

Hie thee to a garage with a pressure tester and have the cooling system tested with a proper tracer dye in it.

There are a limited number of exits for coolant, and if you're not up for random dis-assembly this is the best alternative.

Working at the VW dealership years ago, I have seen EGR cooler failures. They can leak coolant into the intake, or plug up with carbon and block off the EGR flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back