Audi TT & M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased the Audi and was wondering about this oil. I was at the dealer and they are using Castrol semi-Syntec 5W-30? I have been a pure synthetic user for years so needless to say they won't be putting that crap in my motor. I changed the oil myself to M1 0W-40 synthetic. It says it is the European oil. The TT seems to love it. It runs smoother than before and after 1000 miles in the motor it is still honey colored. Anyone else have opinions on this oil. I believe I will keep this oil for this vehicle.

Quattro: I thought that it sounded like a good oil. As I said before my manual says 5w-40 is the best. That would be great for me because then I can keep one oil in my garage instead of two or three different ones. I even have some old 5w-30 Tri-Syn I have to use up. Forgot about it and found it when i was cleaning up the other day. Do you think I should still use it? It is pretty old. The truck won't mind it I am sure.
wink.gif

The owner's manual for my A6 2.7T recommnends 0W30 so for me it is NOTHING but SLX (GC). If SLX is not available for you, you certainly aren't going to "go wrong" with M1 0W40.

quote:

I even have some old 5w-30 Tri-Syn I have to use up. Forgot about it and found it when i was cleaning up the other day. Do you think I should still use it?

It's probably fine. I forget now, but I think Mobil says its shelf life is something like 6 years. TriSyn has no moly and is overall inferior to SuperSyn, IMO, but I'm sure the truck won't mind.
smile.gif

I think you'd be better off running the Mobil 1, 10w-30 in any turbo application. It's their most shear stable formulation and uses a thicker basestock than the 0w-40. My second choice would be to run the Mobil 1, 5w-30 in that motor.

I should mention I have a 2002 Audi TT roadster and have tested a number of different SAE grades of Amsoil in it.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

I would not call Syntec Blend crap. It's actually pretty good, but I would run a real synthetic like you say.

Actually, the 10W-30 ATM probably would work pretty well in this one.

Glad the M1 0W-40 is working for you, but I wouldn't do extended drains with it on the turbo.

No, I won't be doing any extended drains on this car. 4 cyl turbo. I am not going to take the chance. I will be doing 5000 mile changes, oil and filter. This is my daily driver and I do enjoy a little "spirited" driving from time to time.I want to be sure she has all the protection she needs.
smile.gif

M1 0w-40 is a good oil for the 1.8T engine, but our UOAs show the M1 5w-30 is even better and does not shear as much.

GC 0w-30 would be another excellent choice. I just switched to it (sort of) from M1 0w-40.

I was just reading the owners manual and it states that 5w-40 is what they recomend. I can't find the M1 Truck and SUV oil anywhere near me. I live in Ft. Washington, MD. If I can find some I am going to buy a couple of cases and once my 10w-30 Amsoil is gone, I am going to put this in my Durango. I think 40 weight oil for me are the way to go.

I'd also consider the new Amsoil 5w-40. Its' smooth in my 1.8L Toyo.

Quattro: I check them all the time. They do have a good selection of M1 products but not the T&S. I even went to walmart and they did not have it. I guess that it will be awhile longer before it get's here. Would you use the T&S in an Audi? I think it would do very well according to what i am learning about Audi's. I use to own SAAB's and VW's so i know how toughthey can be. i got ALOT of miles out of them over the years.
cool.gif

Buster, I like the Amsoil but it is not convenient for me to get and the cost is somewhat prohibitive for me at the moment. i can pick up M1 products anywhere just about and they are cheaper.

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:
Would you use the T&S in an Audi?

Yeah, I would have no prob. using that oil in my 1.8T. My owner's manual recommends 0w-30 but allows 5w-30 or 5w-40 if 0w-30 is not available. The GC (SLX) 0w-30 I'm using is a very thick 30, almost crossing into a 40-weight territory.

Well I have put 2,500+ miles on this oil now and I must say I am pleased. Not a drop has been used by this car and the oil still looks cleam as a whistle (almost)
wink.gif
. I am going to stick with this oil for a couple of years to see how she responds. I think that I might even do a UOA to see what is going on in there. I really don't see anything better than the M1 for this vehicle. And, if I cannot buy it by walking in an automotive shop and get it off the shelves then it is not for me. I have used Amsoil and the others in the past but I am only using it if it is convenient and not highly priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back