Audi TT 1.8 Oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, new guy here! I just found this board a short time ago and think its the best place on the internet for honest oil info. Here is my question, I have a 2001 Audi TT 1.8 Turbo. What oil would you guys use? Manual calls for 5w-30 dino at 10,000 mile OCI
nono.gif
but I change the oil every 5k. I just put in Mobil 1 0W-40 at 30K miles. This car gets driven mostly highway but high speed 80-90 MPH for 100 miles per day. Is this oil ok or will the turbo chew it up? Mobil 1 0W-40 is what the garage who changes my oil recomended. Thanks!

i think if you re-read your manual, it says that the 5w-30 dino oil is ONLY ok to use when there is nothing else available and only for top-up. also only at low temps and is NOT designed for highspeed driving as you say you do.

a minimum of a group III 5w-40 should be used and w/out a doubt a syn. 5w-40 or 5w-50 should be used. i use German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (VW 503 01 rated) in my 00 Golf 1.8T and show great results. however, if you cnat find that then, try perhaps Lubro Moly 0w-40 (still have 7 litres to use and liked it in the past) or LM 5w-40, or Pentosin Pentosynth 5w-40. Both are order online oils. another awesome oil to use is redline 5w-40.

however, M1 0w-40 IS approved for your car AND so is Castrol synthetic VW/Audi 5w-40 505 01 oil. this oil is sold only at VW/Audi dealers for the new turbo doesel engines and for the new Audi RS6.

in the end its your choice & your wallet. but if i could afford a TT, i sure as heck wouldnt skimp on using dino oil over syn. oil. like the guy who owns the dealership i work at drives a BRAND NEW Mercedes SL500 and guess who changes the oil? We do, a Nissan Dealership and guess what kind of oil we use? who knows? its a 5w-30 oil bought fromt he cheapest supplier! What an IDIOT!! all i can say.

anyways, id go for the GC 0w-30 as its the factory fill oil for our 1.8T Audi designed engines. (Yes, Audio designed these engines and not VW. the last VW designed forced induction engine was the G60 engine. although the new VW 16V 2 litre turbo engine is due out in the Golf V.) WHoa....now thats off topic!!! Whew!
chris jefferson

The Mobil 0/40 was an excellent choice for your Audi TT and how it's driven . There's a used oil analysis here of the same oil , same type car that is great .

Oil's cheap . That engine is not so if mine I'd change it at 5k intervals with that type driving .

An A3-rated 0W-30 or 5W-40 should be perfect for the TT. I'm not a fan of M1 0W-40 in my normally aspirated Audi motor, so I won't recommend it for a turbo motor, though it does meet the TT's requirements. Christopher summed it all up nicely.

[ December 29, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

As a '99 AEB 1.8T (Passat) owner, I'm currently leaning toward Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40. It's a group IV (100% PAO) true synthetic, it's the currently -specified 5W-40 weight (it seems to me VW changed it's mind about what weight is appropriate for the 1.8T around 2001). It has the correct VW approvals, the correct ACEA rating, and also happens to be API SL.

The M-1 0W-40 is probably perfectly fine, but even with the VW "5XX", if I get into a warranty spat with VW, I want my receipts to say "5W-40". LubroMoly and Pentosin are other 5W-40 synthetic, options but current inventories appear to be API SJ rather than SL. motorspot.com and others sell the Motul and autobahnfluids.com sells the Lubro and Pentosin.

I may be more enthusiastic about M-1 again when they start selling the 5W-40 "for SUVs" this Spring. Maybe it'll carry VW 5XX (e.g. for the Touareg). Fingers crossed.

[ February 15, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Jefferson:

a minimum of a group III 5w-40 should be used and w/out a doubt a syn. 5w-40 or 5w-50 should be used.

gr_eek2.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
banghead.gif
really, hummm.
Oh come on now.... WHY, minimum standards as proclaimed, WHY!?

I have a 2002, Audi TT roadster with the 225 Hp engine....I've run the Amsoil 10w-40 and 10w-30 to date with similar results.

The elevated oil temps and narrow bearing housing in the turbo will shear ANY 0w-40 to hell and back. I'd run the shear stable, Mobil 1, 10w-30 year round, or you could run the 5w-30 just in the winter.

Just for fun, I may run some of the Amsoil 0w-40 (AFF) in my TT the next time around, just to see how much I can shear it in 7500 miles. I'm guessing at least 10%, based on what I've seen from the M1, 0w-40.

It's the combination of excessive heat and pressure that causes oil to shear in high performance applications ....Witness the 3.0L toyota V-6 engine.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics
(256) 882-0768

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back