"Audi tests in Germany, SLX Long Life resulted in a fuel saving of 2.72%"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important – Special Oil Requirements

"To benefit from the new technology and Audi Variable Service Intervals, newly developed Long Life oils such as Castrol SLX OW30 Long Life 2 must be used (please refer to owners handbook). They have been specially formulated for Audi and are a new generation of ultra high-grade synthetic oils designed to withstand ageing and high loads without deterioration. Using ordinary high quality multigrade oil will not cause any engine damage but it will defeat the object of the new technology and cause a service to be needed at 10,000 miles. In addition, compared with conventional oils, Long Life oils gives exceptional levels of engine protection, are kinder to the environment and deliver fuel savings. In recent tests carried out on vehicles in Germany SLX Long Life 2 resulted in a fuel saving of 2.72%"

An explaination of Variable Service..up to 19,000 miles.

http://www.audi.co.uk/customer/servicingoption.jsp

For me, GC is the way to go.

....wish there were more UOAs on GC though ....... where are all the forum members who bought tons of GC ....where are the UOAs
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

For one, I don't care abou fuel efficiency with oils. If I wanted to save gas, I'd buy a Hybrid or another Corolla. Long Life oils are good, but as we've seen on here it is not always a good idea to extend drains without UOA's. If I buy an expensive car, I'm not pushing drains past 10k miles regardless of the oil. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. GC is a nice oil for sure.
wink.gif

[ December 14, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Extended drains are not designed to enhance the life cycle of the power train!! It is meant to be a convince to the owner. This is especialy true if this vechile is leased. The first time this car goes in for an oil change at the dealer it will be the last oil change at the dealer. THe average person does not under stand the difference between oils. So the next time it needs a oil change rest assured Jiffy Lube will get their business. THey will put Pensoil 5W30 in it and the needle head behind the wheel will drive 10,000-19,000 miles with cheap 5W30 in it. Rest asured it will be some country club babe that drives 4 mile round trip per day in stop and go driveing from the Salon to the country club!

Mark my words we will be seeing AUdi sludge problem reports on the internet in the future. These long life extended drain intervals are and the oils need to meet these requirments is a bit too confuseing for the average owner!

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
ISnt SLX the same as GC?
Or is there a difference between SLX and SLX LL?

SLX LL II is thinner than regular SLX and GC hence the fuel savings.

SLX LL II:
Vis @40C, cSt: 55.3
Vis @100C, cSt: 10.1

SLX:
Vis @40C, cSt: 69.0
Vis @100C, cSt: 12.1

The LL2 is thinner, but 2.73% over-the-road mileage increase seems like a lot when oil pumping is a small part of the total overall energy equation.

This fuel savings comparison was not made to the ACEA A3/B4 rated, Castrol 0w-30, but to a thicker 10w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic. The reason I am quite sure of this is that my local customers and I have seen fuel savings of approx 2%-3% when comparing the Amsoil Series 2000, 0w-30 to their 10w-30 synthetic - ATM - under short trip driving conditions.

The Castrol 0w-30 SLX-II is about the same thickness as the Mobil 1, 0w-30 ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

I wouldn't get my panties in a twist over LL oils.
tongue.gif
From what I keep reading on German car forums, premature engine failure (I keep track of BMW and Audi) has become increasingly frequent over the past few years, and many people make a connection to extended service intervals. Of course, evidence is circumstantial, but it's enough to make me weary of LL oils. There's also a bunch of people who flat-out refuse to LL oils in their motors.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
....wish there were more UOAs on GC though ....... where are all the forum members who bought tons of GC ....where are the UOAs
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

People are racking up miles on it probably. I know that's what I'm doing. Most of the UOA's on GC have been for low mileage intervals, none above 6000. I hope shortly we'll see some at extended mileage. Just about anythign works when you change it at 2500 miles...

quote:

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I've been curious about that too. It seems I have posted just as many GC reports from my own car and sister's car as all the other reports combined on here on GC. I figured by now we'd be seeing at least 1 or 2 UOAs per week with GC.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
People are racking up miles on it probably. I know that's what I'm doing. Most of the UOA's on GC have been for low mileage intervals, none above 6000.

I posted one with 6900 miles on it from my sister's car:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000973

Yep, I forgot this one for some reason. I'll have some longer ones in the future but I'm in no hurry to put another 15K or 20K miles on my truck...
wink.gif

quote:

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I won't do one with my current car/engine.. My H22a uses about 2L of oil per 6,000km, by the time I'll hit 10-12K I'll probably have 4L of new GC in there, what's the point of doing a UOA, it would not be a good indication of how the oil is performing.
dunno.gif

I just hit 3400 miles with my first run of GC in a Nissan Frontier with the KA24DE 4 banger. By the end of the week I'll have the 3750 miles Nissan recommends as an oil change interval.

I haven't decided whether to run it to 5000 miles which this oil should be very capable of or drain it at 3800+. Molekule has one of these motors and he reports that it thrashes oil pretty soundly. On the other hand this is an A3 oil so 5000 shouldn't push it too badly.
dunno.gif

Judging by the butt dyno and the sounds of the motor the oil is doing great. I must confess to idleing the truck on subzero mornings. Fuel dilution will be higher than it should be. I'll post the results but it won't be the long drain UOA everyone wants to see.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back