Audi e-tron Motor Production

Stellantis' EV powertrain production lines will look largely the same, but in a rusted out warehouse in Cuidad Juarez with only skylights for lighting and without the robots.

"The new Chrysler 300C with bespoke hand wound electric motors! Imported from Detroit." [Assembled in Serbia using globally-sourced components.]

Very interesting. I kept thinking that robot turning on us and building it’s own army. Shouldn’t have watched all the Terminators. Think I will go watch some this week. Then there is the guy wrapping wires around by hand. All in all I’m not thrilled with the complexity of the manufacturing, as a potential customer. I guess the whole unit is replaced by a new assembly if it goes bad.
Maybe that’s no worse than an automatic transmission. On second thought, yes it is worse.

I wonder how the bundled varnish-coated motor wires are stripped down to copper or made conductive before connectors are swaged in place? Perhaps the pressure is so high it doesn't matter?

If something goes wrong with the motor then the whole assembly is probably swapped out. Seems like failed motors could be sent to the manufacturer for trouble-shooting and repair, and sold or used for repairs as "factory refurbished". Same with all the complicated electrical boxes. I wonder what that whole motor assembly retail cost is ?

Very interesting. I kept thinking that robot turning on us and building it’s own army. Shouldn’t have watched all the Terminators. Think I will go watch some this week. Then there is the guy wrapping wires around by hand. All in all I’m not thrilled with the complexity of the manufacturing, as a potential customer. I guess the whole unit is replaced by a new assembly if it goes bad.
Maybe that’s no worse than an automatic transmission. On second thought, yes it is worse.
Hand build or automation (robots or just machines), are completely orthogonal / independent from module swapping or hand repair on the spot, and they are also completely orthogonal / independent from whether automatic is good (Aisin automatic) or not (Jatco CVT).

I like anything low cost and reliable, with lots of available replacement, hopefully never need replacement.

I wonder how the bundled varnish-coated motor wires are stripped down to copper or made conductive before connectors are swaged in place? Perhaps the pressure is so high it doesn't matter?
The large orange robot probably takes care of that. He may have a human do it. Don't get too close to him. Or her, more like an It.

Yeah, nah ... the person installs a ferrule over the bunch of insulated wires. Next the lugs magically appear and the assembly goes off somewhere, then are shown crimped. I'd bet it's some sort of high-temp induction heating process that burns off the varnish.

1618615645103.jpg

1618615803398.jpg

Back