Audi Doing Amsoil Advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a brochure at the VW/Audi dealer yesterday, entitled: "Using the correct oil for your Audi engine"....

Inside it talks about the importance of using a synthetic that meets the VW 502.00 spec, in a 5w-30/0w-40 or 5w-40 grade. There is a cut away picture from the back label of an oil bottle, showing all the specs the product meets, and an arrow pointing to the VW 502.00 spec.

The product they used to make this point is a bottle of Amsoil...
wink.gif
It's very easy to tell by the typeset and the order in which the specs are listed. The only thing you can't tell is if it's the ASL or ATM formulation, since the back labels look the same.(the SAE grade is not shown in this cutaway picture).

So I'd say VWOA is certainly aware of Amsoils excellent, VW 502.00 rated lubricants.
smile.gif

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Here's the VW brochure. Notice just to the right of the arrow, it looks like this is an Amsoil ASL oil.
 -

And here is the back of an Amsoil AFL qt. bottle:

-

[ July 29, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

Amsoil may only be "reccomended for" certain specs, but VW/Audi only "strongly reccomends".

Neither are optimal.

JMH

Exceptions to every rule. My local PZ quick lube will not sell you the wrong oil for your car. The computer gives them the correct information of what is required. For example, if you have a GM4718M requirement, they will not install their dino. They will install whatever you bring in and bill you for the labor, however and assume no liability for the product used. If you insisted cheap dino be installed, they probably would and an exception advisory would be printed on your receipt.

If they sell you the oil, the brand and grade are listed, if you bring your own it is not. So you would have to save the oil purchase receipts to have proof of the correct oil being used for warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

VW/Audi - stupid owners that want to go to pep boys and get the oil changed with the cheapest junk they can find???

Actually, most of them were just following their owner manuals which didn't specify much, apart from listing a few grades such as 5w-30. Even the VW/Audi dealers were using dino as part of the free maintenace every 10K miles.

This has been going on for years in the US, until AoA/VoA sent out these new oil letters to owners and to dealerships.

You really can't blame an owner for following his/her owner's manual.

One thing noted in the text, which many people do not realize, and many people take as indication that oil is dirty, needs changing, or needs a product like LC or auto-rx is:
"Detergent additives in the oil will make fresh oil look
dark after the engine has been running for a short
time. This is normal and is not a reason to change
the oil more often than recommended."

JMH

My VW dealer used Crapoil's Syntec 5w30 in my TDI, instead of the CH-4 rated 5w40. Once I made them drain and refill with 5w40, but the turbo still locked up at 50k! Oh well, that car is long gone.

Is it true that if the manufacturer said use only brand 'X' 5w-40 'Super Power Syn Gold' that they would have to supply to oil free of charge, vs saying use a 5w-40 that meets our 999.99 spec?

Hi,
not to spoil the party but even though the word Porsche is mentioned this oil is NOT APPROVED or LISTED by Porsche!

This is the sad part of misleading information - mis-information!

The oil IS MB listed as 229.5 but is NOT listed as MB229.3

Perhaps somebody could explain MB229.4 - ????

Regards
Doug

It's an old label - I told them long ago to remove 229.4 as it's just a page holder.

It's not misinformation. It's recommended.

Doug - you know the only thing spoiling the party is when someone thins the punch and drops a rusty spoon in it!

Get with the program, Doug - not every thread is an Amsoil bash. VW/Audi choose the graphic, not Amsoil!

Hi Pablo,
the rusty spoon is mis-information!

What did MB229.4 ever appear there for in the first place and Porsche.......???

ssmokn - both of the oils you mention are excellent products and both have a number of Manufacturer Approvals and are Listed by MB/DC, and Porsche too
I would be happy to use either!

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:
Actually - here's the brochure (copyrighted 2005):

Great links, thanks. I will be forwarding these on to my coworker who says his mechanic says M1 5W-30 is 'the best choice' for a 2000 jetta vr6. Uh, I don't see it listed.

The .4 is a typo

What is so wrong with recommending an oil for a Porsche?

The funny thing is that Amsoil 5W-40 is far superior to Mobil 0W-40, but use what makes you happy, that's what is important!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back