Audi dealer oil is now Valvoline DuraBlend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was told by a friend who got their 2004 car serviced that Audi dealers are now using DuraBlend. The dealers did use random bulk oil for the 10,000mi factory intervals, now the DB is what Audi of America prescribed. I used it before I went full-synth, worked well. Anyone remember how UOA or VOA looked?

My Volvo dealer pushes Valvoline Durablend for their oil changes. No thanks.

I do my own with M1 and like the analysis results.

Thats interestng. What oil did Audi dealers use before? I drive a VW which is simiar to Audi, so is VW also using Valvoline for their cars now. I know that the dealer where I got the car at uses Castrol GTX, blend, and full synthetic. And don't Audi say 5000 intervals since they run 1.8T, 2.8L 6 cylinders. I'm assuming that Audi and VW list similar intervals and requirements.

Just to clarify. All Audis since 1987 got free scheduled maintenance up to 50,000 miles using whatever oil the dealer felt like using...bulk-o-matic 5w-30 whatever. Turbos got 5000mi intervals n/a got 7500mi changes. The 2002 cars started recommending 10,000 mile intervals, as a cost-cutting measure. Audi musta mistakenly thought API oil would work and only pays the dealer a small allowance for it. This is not a good situation for resale values, so for 2004, the cars are getting DuraBlend, I hear.

[ May 19, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

When I bought my Audi in '96, the dealer used 20W-50 dino and the suggested OCI of 7.5k miles. M1 was optional at additional cost. I brought my own Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Back in '99, the dealer offered suddenly Syntec 5W-50 as alternative to their 20W-50. Since I haven't gone to the dealer in years, other than for parts, I can't say what they use theses days. However, I expect the oil offerings to change from dealer to dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Brat57:
wOw 10k on semi-syn?

Better than 10k on dino, which they have been doing up until now.
lol.gif
Turbocharged engines, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Was told by a friend who got their 2004 car serviced that Audi dealers are now using DuraBlend. The dealers did use random bulk oil for the 10,000mi factory intervals, now the DB is what Audi of America prescribed. I used it before I went full-synth, worked well. Anyone remember how UOA or VOA looked?

Usually a dealer can choose any oil want to use. Not sure if Audi actually standardizes across the board?

quote:

Originally posted by andyfish:
Usually a dealer can choose any oil want to use. Not sure if Audi actually standardizes across the board?

Yeah, that was my understanding, too. Each dealer uses whatever they feel like, different brands, different grades. That is why some USA Audi dealers have been using dino, while others have been using Castrol Syntec for example (no extra charge for the Syntec).

So I'm also curious, if the V DuraBlend idea came from AoA or if it's just this one particular dealer that decided to use that.

Besides, it's still in disagreement with the owner's manual which recommends 0w-30 grade for most new Audis (A4 at least), and there's no 0w-30 DuraBlend, AFAIK. But that's actually less important here.

Just a note, years ago (about 1995) when I spoke to valvoline, they told me their Durablend was nothing more than 50% Valvoline Synthetic and 50% All Climate mixed in a big vat. The engineer at Valvoline told me I could get the same thing by mixing them at home if I wanted.

Cary

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by Cary:
Just a note, years ago (about 1995) when I spoke to valvoline, they told me their Durablend was nothing more than 50% Valvoline Synthetic and 50% All Climate mixed in a big vat. The engineer at Valvoline told me I could get the same thing by mixing them at home if I wanted.

Cary

Makes sense.

But I wonder if they add detergents to the mix. I have had the Valvo techs tell me a couple times that both Maxlife and Durablend are their higest detergency PCEOs.

I think the engineer was pulling your leg.
lol.gif
This was 1995, so it's possible.

I'm sure Durablend is formulated in it's own right.

It does look to be a very good oil with a good TBN. I'd run it, but 10K??? I'm not brave enough.

Im using Durablend with Maxlife Engine Protector
tongue.gif
, anyway , FWIW I did see a old MSDS for Durablend that listed 50% synthetic , the current one has it at 20% to 30% synthetic and thats about the same amount of synthetic oil % that Castrol has in their syntec blend.

Look up the different multigrades of Durablend and you will see widely differing amounts of the synthetic in the MSDS for each grade.

quote:

Look up the different multigrades of Durablend and you will see widely differing amounts of the synthetic in the MSDS for each grade

Come on! Just tell us! I bet the 5w-30 has the most.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Come on! Just tell us! I bet the 5w-30 has the most.
grin.gif

Not quite. Didn't have my notes with me, but now I do, so here are the Durablend percents from the MSDS:

Two CAS numbers are listed for the Durablends: CAS 64742-54-7 and CAS 64742-65-0. From searching this site I have determined that the 54-7 is hydrocracked/hydrotreat and could be any of Group II, II+, or III; whereas the 65-0 is a solvent dewased Group I. So the synthetic (i.e., Group III) proportions may be all the same, with the difference being in Group II/II+. I don't know. The Valvoline rep a couple weeks ago just said they all had the same proportion, but it makes sense to me that the oils that have the harder job to do (5w30, 10w40) would get more synthetic in order that all the oils perform similarly. That seems to be what is indicated. So here it is:

Grade / CAS 64742-54-7 / CAS 64742-65-0
5w20 / 60-75% / 15-30%
5W30 / 54-64% / 10-20%
10W30 / 23-33% / 51-60%
10W40 / 74-84% / not indicated
15w40 / 23-33% / 51-61%
20w50 / 23-33% / 52-62%

So if it were true that the 54-7 CAS is all synthetic, then the 10w40 is a super buy--essentially Synpower for half the price! But I doubt it. However, the Durablend 10w40 looks like it might be better than the Maxlife 10w40 which is only 12-22% synthetic (albeit a true synthetic, presumably PAO), but is 52-62% Group I.

quote:

Originally posted by Cary:

Cary

Makes sense.

But I wonder if they add detergents to the mix. I have had the Valvo techs tell me a couple times that both Maxlife and Durablend are their higest detergency PCEOs.

Interesting. Good info, thanks. DB 10w-40 VOA would be worth a peek.
grin.gif
Syntec Blend is an A3 oil as a 10w-40, I wonder if DB is up to that rating or even better than SB. Valvoline should go for the cert if it can make it.

FWIW, I ran durablend for a crapload of miles in my F150's.

My general experience (all based on 5w30 and 4000 mile OCI's):

Wear was always acceptable, if not down right low.

TBN retetion and viscosity retention were an issue when it was cold outside, but it had no problems when the average temp was above 50 degrees on an interval.

I have since switched to other brands that provide better TBN retention and visocity retention for a lower price.

Just as with the Group III "synthetics," I'm not sure a Group I/II oil blended with 10-30% Group III is really worth $2.25+ per quart.

I'll take a Group II+ at $1.00-1.50 per quart anyday ... or a real PAO blend for $3.
wink.gif

If I wanted a cheap, mass-market blend, better to go with one of the good high-mileage oils which have 10-15% Group V in them.

My stealership (Nemith, in Latham, NY) advertises that they use Castrol Syntec blend for all their cars ... Volvo, Nissan & Mercury.

Last time they changed my oil (for free) I dumped it after only 1,700 miles.

Just don't trust those guys.
spaz.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back