Audi DCT issue.

Looking for some help here, guys.

Quick story.

Got lucky purchasing a 14 Audi s4. Car has a DCT. I got it with a tick over 100k miles. Car came with a stupid long history. It seems that the previous owner had the car serviced at the dealership for everything. And I mean everything...from windshield wipers to brake pads. P/O had the engine replaced at 50k miles due to timing chain rattle and the transmission replaced at 67k.

Here's my situation. I am having a hard downshift from 2 to 1 when leaving transmission in auto mode. Leaving the transmission in manual mode, shifts are very smooth when going from 2-1.

I did change the fluid, I used all audi filters and Febi dsg fluid.

Here's the interesting part. After doing a DSG adaptation, the transmission is smooth as silk. Crisp upshifts and smooth 2-1 downshifting when coming to a stop. After completing the drive cycle, the 2-1 harsh shifts are back.

And ideas???

Do the downshift feel the same when performing a slow and a hard stop? Has the transmission always shifted this way?
No sir, a slow stop is when you get that hard shift. A harder stop, it will be smooth. And when I say hard stop, I do not mean full panic.

My WAG is to double check the fluid level. My guess is that it's a little low.
Will do sir. When I did the fluid, gasket, filters, 5.75 qts of Febi dsg fluid went back in. Every service I seen, they put 6.5 back in.

What condition are the motor and transmission mounts in?
Excellent condition. I do not think it's that, however I will check those as per BmwTurboDzl's advice to recheck the level.

Thank you for looking into this.

How hard is hard?

Mine has a little clunk from 2-1 ever since it was new. If this has been its behavior for a while and it hasn't changed or gotten worse, I wouldn't sweat it.

How hard is hard?

Mine has a little clunk from 2-1 ever since it was new. If this has been its behavior for a while and it hasn't changed or gotten worse, I wouldn't sweat it.
It's pretty harsh. I understand clutches engaging and disengaging; however this seems a little harsh. I am going to do check what Mr KGM and BMW allude to and probably one more thing. I have read that doing a TCU and ECU tune from 034 Motorsports seems to fix a bunch of DCT issues. I might do that after I check the simple things first.

Thanks for the reply.

So the moral of the story is Audi engines and transmissions last 50k miles? Is it true that the engine in the RS7 V8 requires a teardown and replacement of the main bearings every 60k miles? Think I saw that on Tiktok...lol.

So the moral of the story is Audi engines and transmissions last 50k miles? Is it true that the engine in the RS7 V8 requires a teardown and replacement of the main bearings every 60k miles? Think I saw that on Tiktok...lol.
Moral of the story was to get an input from other people on this forum. Not the brand's fault that the previous owner ran to the dealership for every minute thing that happened.

I think I made out quite well spending A4 money on a S4. If I tell you how much I got it for, you'd call me a liar. Even more so when I tell you what they gave me for a 16 WRX.

I'll let dummies buy them new for big money and service them at the dealer until 60-100k miles and pick these cars up for pennies on the dollar.

Faulty mechatronic unit.
I refuse to believe that. Sorry. Mechatronic units were known to go on the b8's. This is a B8.5. Nevermind the Trans was replaced 50k or so ago. I believe this to be something else. Programming perhaps.

I am also going to look at the throttle body. This has a bunch to do with the way the transmission shifts.

Plenty of people replaced the mechatronics unit only to have the same issue immediately after.

Biggest thing leading me away from the mech unit is the adaptation. If it was a faulty mech unit, the transmission would act the same way whether it was going through the adaptation or not.

I will keep everyone posted.

I think you're referring to the S65 in the BMW. Also a dumb wives tale bought on by dumb ass owners.

Back