Audi 1.8T: Should I stop using GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm sure you fellow Audi 1.8 T owner got that packet from AOA stating it will extend oil sludge related repairs to 8 years from date of delivery regardless of mileage.

It even discusses VW approved oil at length
cool.gif
and provided a list of Audi approved oils. I was quite concered GC 0w-30 isn't on the list
shocked.gif
Among others, Castrol Syntec 5w-40 and M1 0w-40 are on it.

**** , I just changed my oil yesterday with some GC. Am I going to get crap from AOA if I need their help down the road? They can easily tell me, sorry we can't honor your claim you used an unapproved oil.

Should I switch over to a 5w-40 or M1 0w-40 permanently.
confused.gif

What are you fellow 1.8T owners doing? Thanks!

I drive an A6 2.7T which drinks nothing but SLX (I try not to call it GC) so I am not quite a fellow 1.8T driver but I am an avid SLX user. My car was shipped from the factory with 0W30 in it. While I believe that SLX would serve your motor fine for its lifetime, I would be untrue to my commitment to get people to follow their owner's manuals, or the most current guidance if new info is released, if I told you to keep using it. Keep the SLX in for this OCI and then switch to either Castrol Syntec 5W40 or the M1 0W40 (or whatever is avaialble that is on the approved list). I truly do not believe: (1) it will contribute to any sludge problems thereby creating need for a claim or (2) that Audi would nail you for one OCI of a "non-recommended" oil. Just out of curiosity, were any 30Ws on the approved list?

Don't sweat it.
cheers.gif

[ August 08, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Thanks!

Here's the list in its entirety, Audi Oil Standard VW 502.00 approval. Note all are either 5w-30 or 40 with the exception of the M1

Castrol Syntec 5w-40
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5w-40
Elf Excellium LDX 5w-40
Kendall GT-1 Full synthetic 5w-40
Mobil 1 **0w-40
Pennzoil Syn. Euro formula 5w-40
Pennzoil Syn. Euro Formula Ultra 5w-30
Quaker State Full Synt. Euro Formula 5w-40
Quaker State full Syn. Euro Formula 5w-30
76 Pure Synthetic Oil 5w-40
Havoline Synthetic 5w-40
Total Quartz 9000 5w-40
Valvoline Synpower 5w-30
Valvoline Synpower 5w-40

Note the extended warranty covers 1.8Ts from 1997 to present

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
If the 502 standard is the issue, then GC should be ok because it lists that requirment on the back of the bottle.

glx...

My thoughts exactly.
cheers.gif

GC is one of the few available XW-30 oils that meets VW 502.00. Most are 0W-40, 5W-40, or thicker.

That oil list confirms what I've been saying along about Audi cars: 5W-40 seems the best all-over viscosity for those engines.

I'm surprised Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 is on the list because it is not VW 50x; it's not even ACEA A3.

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
I'm surprised Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 is on the list because it is not VW 50x; it's not even ACEA A3.

Very curious indeed. By the way, Bill D, forgot to thank you for "publishing" the list for us.

My pleasure!

It's the least I can do in return for the helpful guidance I've received from all of you Oil Gurus
bowdown.gif

So, the general consensus as of now, the German 0w-30 is still ok?

quote:

Originally posted by Bill D:
So, the general consensus as of now, the German 0w-30 is still ok?

If VW 502.00 is the criterion, you are golden...OR should I say GREEN...heh, heh, heh.

In all honesty, AoA dealers themselves have been using oils that weren't either VW 502 nor ACEA A3 compliant for years as part of the free maintenance service. Most of them were using mineral Castrol GTX. So, how can they deny you warranty for not using an oil that's not on their list when Castrol GTX isn't on that list either?
dunno.gif

Besides, the letter says to use a VW 502-compliant oil. GC meets this spec - it should say it right on the bottle. So, if you're concerned, hold onto the GC bottle as proof.
smile.gif

Quattro Pete,

Ah ha! That it is. In fact, I'll do just that!
grin.gif

He he, watch their eyes bulge as I pull in a gigantic sack full of GC bottles into their office, one from every oil change, if they give me a problem some day down the road
grin.gif
(j/k)

Wonder why the GC didn't appear on the list? Maybe they want to keep it secret
wink.gif

Thanks again everyone!
cheers.gif

I wonder if Castrol Syntec 0W30 doesn't appear on the list because of the two variants (the made in the USA stuff which is not VW 502 compliant and the made in Germany stuff which is).

At least from my experience in Colorado, GC 0W30 is only available at Autozone and not all carry it; some still have the made in USA stuff, so that might explain things???

I think a lot of our warranty issues will be dealer dependent. There are some service advisors who will only look at the list and they won't know the difference between VW502 and API starburst. You run into one of these, you are SOL regardless of whether GC meets every criterion in the world. Other more knowledgeable dealers will let you use GC. Still, others won't car what you use so long as its not Johnny's Snakeoil.

That's been my experience with VW dealers at least. Plus, it also helps if your service advisor considers you a good customer rather than a pain in the rear who can't be pleased no matter what they do for you. So get on his/her good side.

Curtis,

That may very well be. Seems like some folks are having hit or miss luck when shopping AutoZone for GC.
frown.gif

quote:

I wonder if Castrol Syntec 0W30 doesn't appear on the list because of the two variants

That makes sense to me. Castol is being pretty brain dead in marketing two different oils under the exact same name and grade.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
That makes sense to me. Castol is being pretty brain dead in marketing two different oils under the exact same name and grade.

John

Castrol does not market two different oils under the same name! The USA made 0W-30 is just the old formula ie old stock. Most companies do not change the name of the product every time they reformulate.

Gene

The letter does not require any specific oil spec, even current API, SG, SH, SJ, SL specs. Only the fact the oil and filter were changed at mfg intervals is sufficient for a claim. GC is factory-fill for these engines, and your are worried?
cheers.gif
Mobil 1 5w-40 did not make the list, but could.

Per Castrol PDS for Syntec 0W-30: "Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API
Certified Gasoline Engine Oils."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back