AU 17' Accord V6 - What oil viscosity?

Modern tolerances?

Mostly an urban legend on the term modern tolerances there. Your engine is not an AK-47, designed with looser things of that nature to allow it to shoot whether it is filled with sand or covered in mud. All engines are going to be machined with precision tolerances, clearances, acceptable margins for things, the notion that some have tighter or modern tolerances is something I have heard said predominantly about Japanese and German cars, again, now we know better (or whatever performance or high end car you may feel is worthy of that term of affection.)

New cars may be running hotter thermostats, maybe, this is different than the internal workings of the engine.

Shell Lube Match Australia says Helix 5W-30 to Helix 15W-40.
Is the Shell ECT C3 a good fit i thought that was mainly a diesel focused oil? Used the Penrite last change but Shell is on sale now. Otherwise i can just grab the helix 5w-30 was a little concerned with the cylinder shutoff though.

Honda fills everything out of the factory with 0W-20(unless 0W-16 is called for). I’d use any good 20/30 and call it a day. Unless you live closer to the bush.

Hi Mate,
for your 17' Accord V6, I would use a full synthetic 5W30. I checked the netlube guides for both Castrol & Valvoline & Penrite and they all gave a large selection of their 5W30 oils, of various specifications. Their recommendation needs to be approved by Honda Australia, so you know 5W30 is good to go.

You can go to the thinner end of 5W30 and get something that’s API SN or SP, with ILSAC GF-5 or GF-6 and maybe Dexos1-Gen2. The Euro A5/B5 is also on the thinner side.

Or you can go to the thicker end of 5W30 and get a Euro rated oil with ACEA A3/B4 (full SAPS) or C3 (Mid SAPS)

Some honourable mentions:
Castrol Edge 5W30 that’s A3/B4 and BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 (high ZDDP anti-wear)
Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 that’s API SN and ACEA A3/B4
Castrol Magnatec A5 5W30 that’s API SN, ACEA A5/B5 and Ford 913-D
Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 C3, it’s API SN/CF, ACEA C3, MB 229.51, Dexos2
Castrol Magnatec BioSynthetic 5W30, it’s API SN, ILSAC GF-5
Nulon 5W30 Long-Life full synthetic, it’s Dexos1-Gen2
Valvoline SynPower 5W30 DX, it’s API SN-PLUS, ILSAC GF-5, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, Dexos1-Gen2
Valvoline SynPower 5W30 FE, it’s ACEA A5/B5 and Ford 913-D (thinner than the DX but with more zinc ZDDP anti-wear)
Valvoline SynPower 5W30 MST, it’s API SN/CF, ACEA C3, Dexos2, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 (thicker again than the other two SynPowers, mid-SAPS)
Shell Helix HX8 5W30 full synthetic, it’s API SN/CF & ACEA A3/B4
Shell Helix Ultra, mid-SAPS ECT 5W30 (ACEA C3, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51)
Penrite Enviro+ GF-S 5W30, API SP and ILSAC GF-6A

Too be honest, I would also be happy with a full synthetic 5W40, like Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5) or Valvoline SynPower MST 5W40 (API SN/CF, ACEA C3, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Dexos2, Porsche A40), etc.

You have a lot of good oils to select from in Australia. Like you said, in the USA they probably use 5W20, and you could also use a 5W40, so I would select any good quality full synthetic 5W30 and relax. The difference between the above 5W30 oils, will not matter to you, as your Honda is very robust. I would just buy on price or use what you have.

I try and keep on top of the local sales here, I’ve been a bit slack under COVID though

Last edited:
Shell Lube Match Australia says Helix 5W-30 to Helix 15W-40.
Yes, Shell is not offering any advice. It’s “ run whatever grade you want, we have the product”. It’s a cultural thing. Australia always liked thick oil. Don’t bother mentioning ambient temps. Houston, Texas is just as hot. ;)

Last edited:
Just an update for you guys many kilometers and oil changes later!

Started off on the Penrite Enviro+ GF-S 5w30, needed a1000ml top up after 2000km. Moved back to shell as i had used in my prior vehicles and saw no noticeable oil consumption all the way up to my 7500km service interval! Did an oil analysis and they confirmed my suspicions that the car seemed to agree with it.

Wanted to continue this trend however due to my locality and stock shortages finding a well priced source of Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 or 5w40 is proving costly. My trusted auto parts store recommend Castrol Edge 0w-40 due to its formulation? For context i rack up allot of miles driving in mixed including 'severe' conditions regularly.

Any input on oil choice would be appreciated, @SR5 thankyou again for your amazing input initially!

Edge 0W-40 is a very good oil.
Castrol Magnatec or Startup - whatever they call it - in 10W-40 down there I have read is an affordable, high-quality oil; I’d be inclined to try that if you can get it.

Back