AU 17' Accord V6 - What oil viscosity?

Hi All,

Recently picked up a 17' Accord V6 in Australia that is in dire need of a service.

From this forum i can see the US and CA spec cars use 0w-20 oil however down here each dealer has told me something different depending what they have on tap. I'd refer to the manual however the dealer has 'misplaced' it and the online oil finders generally say 5w-30 for anything they don't have in their books.

I typically use 5w30 to 5w-40 in all my other vehicles and have some shell helix ultra 5w-30 on the shelf if that is what's recommended.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have an '07 Honda Accord V6. I have used 5W-20 oil to date but plan to start using 0W-20 (as it's usually a better oil). But I wouldn't be afraid to use a 5W-30 motor oil.

I think the Australian Accord is similar in size to the North American Acura TSX. But the comments above still apply.

I have an '07 Honda Accord V6. I have used 5W-20 oil to date but plan to start using 0W-20 (as it's usually a better oil). But I wouldn't be afraid to use a 5W-30 motor oil.

I think the Australian Accord is similar in size to the North American Acura TSX. But the comments above still apply.
I had an 07 v6 also and was using 5w-40 in that and got some good mileage out of the vehicle... However with this VCM system and modern tolerances i didn't want to push my luck. Our accords are the same as the USA spec vehicles size and all its the Accord euro that was different.

I had an 07 v6 also and was using 5w-40 in that and got some good mileage out of the vehicle... However with this VCM system and modern tolerances i didn't want to push my luck. Our accords are the same as the USA spec vehicles size and all its the Accord euro that was different.
Modern tolerances?

With J-Series VCM, most importantly is using a good oil at reasonable change intervals.

Something synthetic at 10-12k km (7500 miles'ish) intervals and the motor will outlast you (provided you do the scheduled maintenance. T-Belt/Valve adjustment).

As for weight? Whatever makes you sleep well at night, it won't care.

With J-Series VCM, most importantly is using a good oil at reasonable change intervals.

Something synthetic at 10-12k km (7500 miles'ish) intervals and the motor will outlast you (provided you do the scheduled maintenance. T-Belt/Valve adjustment).

As for weight? Whatever makes you sleep well at night, it won't care.
Thanks for the reply, i was thinking that given how good my J30 was to me. Will just throw the Shell Helix Ultra in for now and see how it goes.

If Honda is recommending 5W30, they probably mean 5W30 ILSAC oil, which is thin fuel economy oil whereas the Helix Ultra is likely a high HTHS Euro spec oil, it should be fine but still probably about 15%-20% thicker than your typical ILSAC 30 grade oil, and it's still a port injected engine so high ash isn't a big deal. I'd use it no qualm.

If Honda is recommending 5W30, they probably mean 5W30 ILSAC oil, which is thin fuel economy oil whereas the Helix Ultra is likely a high HTHS Euro spec oil, it should be fine but still probably about 15%-20% thicker than your typical ILSAC 30 grade oil, and it's still a port injected engine so high ash isn't a big deal. I'd use it no qualm.
I feel really stupid asking this but what 'specification' would i want to look for i.e. BMWLL01, GF-5, MS-6395, etc

I do drive quite enthusiastically and its not uncommon to go for a weekend mountain drive.

I feel really stupid asking this but what 'specification' would i want to look for i.e. BMWLL01, GF-5, MS-6395, etc

I do drive quite enthusiastically and its not uncommon to go for a weekend mountain drive.
GF-5(now superseded by GF-6A) is ILSAC. GM's Dexos1 Generation 2 is a more stringent take on ILSAC GF-5.
LL-01 is BMW's more stringent take on ACEA A3/B4 similar to MB229.5 and Porsche A40.

GF-5(now superseded by GF-6A) is ILSAC. GM's Dexos1 Generation 2 is a more stringent take on ILSAC GF-5.
LL-01 is BMW's more stringent take on ACEA A3/B4 similar to MB229.5 and Porsche A40.
I'll go out and grab some ILSAC rated oil for it, thanks for the reply :)

I'm aware what each spec is i just wasn't aware if Honda had a specific one they followed.

Would these be a good fit?

The whole 'fuel saving' branding is quite disconcerting given i drive my cars enthusiastically and plan to tow on occasion with it. I realize oil is oil just trying to make this one last.

Last edited:
Modern tolerances?
Modern tolerances are tighter. But as mrlawnguy is hinting, modern clearances have not changed.

Would these be a good fit?

The whole 'fuel saving' branding is quite disconcerting given i drive my cars enthusiastically and plan to tow on occasion with it. I realize oil is oil just trying to make this one last.
Either would be a great choice. Use with confidence. Both are top-shelf synths.

If you have it, I’d still use the Shell Helix 5W-30, it’s an excellent oil, no point wasting it.
Going forward, though, supporting local and using Penrite is a great plan, they seem to make really good oils as well!

Back