Atttention Honda Owners/Oil Monitoring Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen a midding wheel weight flatspot a tire. What was the exact problem with the tire or tires?

I have never seen a missing wheel weight flatspot a tire. What was your exact problem with your tire or tires??

I have never seen a wheel weight flat spot a tire, but there is always a first time for everything. I'm not sure if flat spotting is the correct term, but the tire technician indicated definite uneven wear, enough to make it noticeable during driving. There was a definite drumming of the wheel. Weight was missing, tire was bad. Honda replaced it. That's all I know.

Last edited:
I've had problems with slight flatspotting, or out-of-round tires on both my old Acura and my Accord. The flat spots work themselves out after ~ 5 -6 miles of driving.

You can let that thing go to 0 and then reset it. The other codes will come on. Manual says the OLM is geared for 7500 miles.

Throckmorton, you misconstrued my term "flat spotting". I am referring the uneven rubber around the tire from uneven wear, caused by whatever reason. I am not thinking about flat spots that result from the tire sitting for a while and then round out by driving.

However, thanks for your comments.

I just bought an '08 Civic LX with the OLM. Does anyone know how many miles it takes in average commuting to trigger an oil change? I drive moderate city/country 21 miles each way to work. Mostly 45-55mph.

Is the Honda 5w20 oil a semi-syn or full syn?

BTW, this car is a great car. It handles like a gocart and has quite good acceleration. Easily keeps up with traffic. The 5spd AT always seems to be in the right gear. Unlike my 5spd AT Mazda MPV. It even seems to downshift and keep the converter locked downhill. My first tank was on highway at 40mpg. I hope to get a little better once it is broken in.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: rponfick

I recently had a warranty repair denied because I had not followed the required maintenance. The problem is the required maintence will not be shown to you until 15%, which I never reached. I had unusual tire wear and balance/rotation was required at 12500 miles. Trouble is the monitor never told me that fact, and nowhere in the owner's manual is anything listed.

The denial of warranty service (in this case, tire balancing weight/metal piece falls off) should not have happened regardless of whether your OLM is 15% or the scheduled services are due. What if you have 30% left in your factory fill and the lead fell or a wheel fell off? Do they still try to claim it under OLM 15%???

The way I see it is that given the fact that factory Honda owner manuals even come with instructions on how to reset the OLM and also Magnuson-Moss act,etc. dealerships should be taking all the blame and not to pull a fast one on car owners.

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drm7
Does anyone know how many miles it takes in average commuting to trigger an oil change?

My 07 tends to trigger between 5500 and 6000 miles. Your commute is longer and slower than mine, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours went a little higher. I'd have to check to confirm, but on one of my OCIs where I went for some longer trips I'm pretty sure it didn't trigger until 6200 miles or so.

Accord manual told me about 7500 and has been just about spot on but I carry it out longer since I'm using M1 EP stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back