Attn: Patman? Sure-Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the Sure-Drain working out?

I saw them at Wal-Mart today and they looked rather flimsy to me.

I can see a number of things going wrong w/ that device that all would result in me needing a new engine.

Not Patman here
grin.gif
. I looked at them-I thought they looked decent.

Mine's hanging in there so far! I'm not loosing any more oil than I did before (engine has an intake leak, so I lose about a quart every 6k, but that hasn't gone up) It is too cold for me to check on it now, but when it warms up in a few weeks I'll be taking a sample via the Sure Drain and can check and see how it's hanging in there. So I'm sure it's not leaking.

I bought one for my wife's Honda too, and it'll go on there in April.

I wish we had the Fumoto up here, I would've got it instead. But these Fram units are only $20 here, which is $13US.

[ February 14, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Fumotos are all mail order, I don't know of any retail outlet where you can purchase them so I assume they would ship anywhere in the world.

I was considering installing a Fumoto valve on my 4x4 pickup until I was told of problems when off-roading. Seems other 4x4 truck owners have reported the valve being knocked open by brush, stones, etc. .

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Fumotos are all mail order, I don't know of any retail outlet where you can purchase them so I assume they would ship anywhere in the world.

And I calculated that it would be close to $80 Canadian to have one shipped here. Not cost effective.

Patman, I see $33.40 (xe.com rate) + 5 shipping according to their priority mail rate. I've only been on the sending end of international product shipments. Does a little tax guy follow the mailman around?

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
Patman, I see $33.40 (xe.com rate) + 5 shipping according to their priority mail rate. I've only been on the sending end of international product shipments. Does a little tax guy follow the mailman around?

The problem is the brokerage fees. They are typically $30 or more. They aren't always consistent either. You could order the same thing twice and pay two different amounts.

This is why I don't like mail ordering stuff from the US very often, unless it's something I absolutely must have and cannot get in Canada (such as when I ordered Auto-rx last year-but that $40US order turned into close to $80 CDN by the time I got it)

Patman,

Just about every highway truck and logging truck in this neck of the woods has a Fumoto - a truck dealer here stocks them. Have you tried at any truck dealers where you are?

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
Patman,

Just about every highway truck and logging truck in this neck of the woods has a Fumoto - a truck dealer here stocks them. Have you tried at any truck dealers where you are?

I didn't even think to try them out. Although it's too late now, I have the Fram units already. If they don't work out, then I'll look for the Fumoto's, but until then there is no sense in me spending more money. I'm broke enough as it is.
frown.gif

Just an update on the Sure Drain. I changed my oil this weekend, and noticed there was a bit of leaking, as I either didn't tighten it down enough, or it loosened off a bit (I figure the hot/cold cycles may have necessitated the second tightening and now it won't loosen off) I didn't notice higher oil loss than before on this interval, so I probably only lost a few extra drops.

This system is very easy to use, and makes taking oil samples much less messy since the flow of oil isn't so fast.

The oil may not flow out as fast but this won't really increase the oil change time for most of us here. Unless you are the type that tries to rush your oil change as fast as you can, this system will still allow the same amount of oil to come out. Here is how I see it. With a normal drain plug, when you take it off, the oil flows very fast at first, it probably gets 80% of the oil out of there in the first 3 minutes. With the slower flow of the sure drain, it probably takes about 10min to reach that same point. But if you're the type to leave your oil draining for a half hour or more, by the time you've reached about the 20min mark, I figure the same amount of oil will have drained out of each setup, since once the oil flow is down to the drips, the sure drain system isn't flowing any slower at this point anyways.

All in all I really love this setup, no more burnt hands, no more fishing the drain plug out of the old oil, and virtually no spillage when collecting the oil samples. I am impressed.

When I finished up, I cleaned the removable brass piece with brake cleaner to get rid of all the oil residue. On all oil samplings, I let the oil drain for one full minute to make sure no contaminents that might be left on the brass piece with the unit make it into the sample too.

I'm putting one of these on my wife's car in two weeks when I do her next oil change.

[ March 18, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, if you like the Fram, you'll love the
www.fumotovalve.com.
Consider it for your wife's car. I have one on each of my vehicles, and would never go back to wrenching off a drain plug.

They will ship to Canada.
canada.gif

EDIT: Oops!
pat.gif
I re-read the posts; didn't realize shipping to Canada had already been discussed.

[ March 18, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: TheLoneRanger ]

According to the brochure that came with my Fumotos:

"WARNING: For users under extreme conditions
If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at any hardware store, will firmly keep the lever in the locked positions at all times [see pictures in brochure]. Drain valves T, FG use a 11/16" clip, F series uses a 5/8" clip."

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
I was considering installing a Fumoto valve on my 4x4 pickup until I was told of problems when off-roading. Seems other 4x4 truck owners have reported the valve being knocked open by brush, stones, etc. .

Mikep

Suredrain works for me so far and have used for about 6 months. My test is the brass cap with seal. If it is dry, then I figure the inner valve is working. If I ever see the brass cap with oil then I will remove the Suredrain. I figure that the inner valve will start seeping first, so I should have time to correct before a major problem. The brass cap is a backup seal and keeps the valve clean.

The Fumoto valve seems exposed to dirt and grit. Would not over time, this destroy the seal?

The drain opening in the Fumoto is indeed exposed to the elements, and some dirt does accumulate inside. I always take a paper towel and wipe the inside before I open the valve. There is a ball valve that seats on a Delrin or Teflon surface (spring loaded), and it looks to be very durable. I have had one on a Bronco for years, with no leaks or trouble of any kind.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back