ATF to put in a 2003 Toyota Corolla ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, i'm new here.

First of all, i'm from france, so i'll be talking in kilometres, litres and so on.

So i'm about to buy a 03 toyota corolla, it has 55000km at the clock, a 1.6 engine and a 4 speed auto transmission. It is going to be my first automatic.
As it still has the factory fill, I pulled the stick when i first went to see the car and the fluid looks very light red-brown, so it doesn't appear burnt.
I'm willing to change the fluid to have peace of mind, at least for the next 50000km.
I found out the fluid recommended to be Toyota T-IV, and my gearbox to be a Aisin-Warner A236E.

As a true believer in synthetic oils, i was wondering what synthetic you would advise me to put in that gearbox, or if i should stick with toyota's stuff.

Thanks

First,
welcome2.gif

Do they have Maxlife ATF over there?

55,000km on a 12 year old car?

A lot of people use Valvoline's Maxlife ATF for Toyota automatics. I have been using it in my friends 02 Tundra (which specifies Dexron III) and it holds up well. About 300000km on that vehicle.

Maxlife in Europe

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers.

Maxlife looks great, i'm going to look for it on the web, if a euro seller is to be found.

Edit : yes 55 000km on a 12 years old car, it's current owner is a 80-90 years old granny who can't drive anymore. The downside is : the car is scratched on the whole passenger side, i believe granny was not good at parking on her last trips...

Last edited:
Here are the equivalent fluids:

Mobil 3309
Toyota T-IV
Volvo JWS 3309
Mazda T-IV/3309
Saab JWS 3309
BMW/Mini JWS 3309

They're all the same. Use whatever's easiest for you to obtain.

Also, if you can locate Castrol ATF Multivehicle or Castrol Import Multi Vehicle, those are decent replacements for T-IV.

Toyota T-IV available at your local Toyota dealer.

I have a Corolla with 1.8L. Didn't know they made a 1.6L for it.

Here in france, Corollas, in 03' were sold with either :

a 1.4 vvti engine (100hp)
a 1.6 vvti engine (110hp)
a 1.8 compressor engine (sport version) (something like 190hp i believe)
a 1.4 turbodiesel D4D engine (90hp)
a 2.0 turbodiesel D4D engine (115hp)

my parents used to have a 2.0 D4D one, it ran very nice for 170 000 km, time when they sold it... I often did the oil changes for them when the warranty was over, i used to put 0W30 or 5W30 full synthetic for turbo diesel.

For the OPs benefit, in the US, Toyota gives buyers almost no engine options. For vehicles like the camry, it is either 4 or 6 cylinder gas. Smaller cars like the Yaris, Corolla, there are no choices. 1.5 Yaris, 1.8 Corolla (2 versions)

I was amazed when i looked at the UK toyota site, a whole bunch of drivetrain options.

Last edited:
Yes, but anyway, here in france, Diesel is like a national religion, and something like 80% of newer cars here are sold in diesel version, so on the used car market, you don't really have a lot of options.

It's a luck i found that corolla with a auto transmission and a 1.6 petrol engine, moreover a 3door with a beige and wood interior... really nice looking car. I'm going to do some pictures for you all when i'll finally have this car.

I found that maxlife atf, but in france it's like 17€/L minimum without shipping... After some more searching, i found a german eBayer selling it in 20L jugs, for a more reasonable price : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Valvoline-MAXLIFE-ATF-Automatikgetriebeol-20l-Ol-/251825168415

That would be 133.46€ + 19€ shipped, so 152.46€ for 20L => 7,63€/L That's reasonable to me !
Should i go for it ?

How about this: If you ship me an Audi A4 Avant TDI one piece at a time, I'll send you all of the Maxlife ATF you could ever hope for.

Lol thanks, but doesn't look like a very trade fair, or i would have to become an ATF dealer to make up for the difference
smile.gif

Does that car make you dream in the US ?

We don't have many wagons here, fewer diesel options, and barely any vehicles come with manual transmissions anymore.

We do have a BMW 328d wagon now, but no manual transmission. The Audi A4 wagon was discontinued, and the only option is the Allroad, also without a manual. I'd take either of those, a Subaru Levorg 6MT, the diesel Forester, or Forester XT with a manual.

Guillame -

I would say this:

If you can get MaxLife for
3309/T-IV generally equals dino/mineral fluid. OK, but not great. Older viscoisity specs (~ 7.3cSt.).

MaxLife is full synthetic. Modern (post 2004 (Toyota) or 2006 (GM) viscosity - 6.9cST). But shears less over time so OK to use in older vehicles (more stable).

IF T-IV or 3309 is more available much cheaper, OK to use but change more often. MaxLife is excellent stuff and in the US we love it because it is very cheap ($18/US gallon). If I had to pay 3x that price for it, I'd use something else and change fluid more often. Very dependent upon price/supply.

Quote:
so 152.46€ for 20L

So that means - 5.2 US gallons for $174US. Here is the US anywhwere, I can buy 5 (US)gallons (20qts) for $91US. So 1/2 your cost. If I were you, I would look closely at comparative costs of T-IV, 3309, or Castrol products that meet what you need. (like Import Multi Vehicle, etc.). Costs are VERY market specific.

MaxLife is indeed very good stuff and I like it, but if it costs to me double what I am currently paying, I would compare other alternatives.

I have been running ML ATF in my 2001 Corolla and it shifts like new. I did the home flush method to replace all the OEM fluid around 50K. I also installed a Magnefine filter. Now i'm just under 80K. ML is under $14 for a gallon so it's a no brainer for me. ML is used exclusively in all three of my vehicles now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back