ATF servicing intervals

For GM it’s clear in the 2020 Silverado manual that if you consider your situation is “Severe” you change BOTH the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles. If it is “normal service” you do it at 100,000 miles and then probably never again as you probably won’t own it at 200,000 miles.

From there you can modify your plan by deciding if you are really a Bittoger or not. Always choose “ Severe” if you are serious about running the transmission to 200,000 miles. Also you can do something such as pulling out 25% of the fluid once per year with a vacuum pump and replacing it with fresh fluid. It’s what I do , takes 30 minutes and you don’t have to crawl under the vehicle.

For those who don’t bother to drop the pan and change the filter, they aren’t bothering to clean the magnet attached to the pan either. That decreases the efficiency of the magnet.

I have 210,000 miles on my 6L90.

Last edited:
For GM it’s clear in the 2020 Silverado manual that if you consider your situation is “Severe” you change BOTH the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles. If it is “normal service” you do it at 100,000 miles and then probably never again as you probably won’t own it at 200,000 miles.

From there you can modify your plan by deciding if you are really a Bittoger or not. Always choose “ Severe” if you are serious about running the transmission to 200,000 miles. Also you can do something such as pulling out 25% of the fluid once per year with a vacuum pump and replacing it with fresh fluid. It’s what I do , takes 30 minutes and you don’t have to crawl under the vehicle.

For those who don’t bother to drop the pan and change the filter, they aren’t bothering to clean the magnet attached to the pan either. That decreases the efficiency of the magnet.

I have 210,000 miles on my 6L90.
That's exactly what my 04 Silverado manual says as well. It's never been serviced before I owned it, trying to keep it from dying.

My 09 Subaru says to inspect the fluid every 30000 miles. I've used that as the change interval (did the same on my previous subie as well). Other than the fluid being very pale translucent pink on its first change, I haven't observed typical problem indicators. No dark burned fluid, no water, a trip thru the paint viscometer shows it about the right viscosity. If I was in a place I needed to save money, I'd get a uao and see about extending that.

Back