ATF possibly a little burnt, change it or leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd do an AutoRx treatment then do a fluid replacement for peace of mind. Who knows what kind of fluid is in there.

I would definitely flush the ATF. This way you'll know that you have the correct ATF in it.

And, a shift kit will help with the sloppiness.

I have an older F-150 that is only driven when we need a truck, it is a '95 with the E4OD (precursor to the 4R100).

I bought the truck with 164k on it a couple of years ago, it now has 181k.

Prior owner claimed the oil and filter had been changed in it, and it was bright cherry red and smelled new.

Fluid has smelled and looked OK up until our high speed trip last weekend (225 miles one way at about 70mph). Inspection upon returning home revealed fluid that looks fairly red on the stick, definitely red when light is shown through the drop at the bottom, but is between red and brown on the paper towel. It may smell just a little burnt now, it didn't before the trip. It does still also smell a little "chemical-like" like new ATF smells.

Transmission still engages normally, shifts are a bit sloppy but no more than is normal with an E4OD. They desperately need shift kits and this may be getting one if I determine it has some life left in it.

Has the fluid gone too far? --

1. Should I not change it for fear of the transmission going out soon after?

2. Should I just drop the pan and change the filter

3. Should I do drop pan and filter AND drain the TC too (it does have a drain)?

I do have another E4OD laying around that I know is reasonably good but I would have to go through the work of swapping the tailshaft, it has the 2wd one and I need the 4x4 one.

Simply drain and refill a few times with Mercon (not Mercon V because of the friction modifiers in it) and be on your way.

Drop the pan, clean the pan, change the filter and refill the transmission. Repeat in a few thousand miles if necessary. Beware of the pressurized flush machines. Just drain and fill.

I have a 95 F150 w/ the I6 and E4OD w/ 183k miles.

Mine was severly neglected by a previous owner. I put an Auto-RX treatment in the tranny and drove the specified milage before servicing. This was 6k miles ago and I've had no tranny problems since. I made a 1300 mi trip with a trailer since the service.

I recommend an ARX treatment followed by a filter and fluid change. ARX should keep it from going out after the full fluid change. Use Chevron DexIII/Mercon fluid. There is a drain on the TC. Put a tranny cooler on it. A 15000 lb stacked plate with bypass is about $40.

These are tough trannys and it should keep going.

JAYCEE, wow, 1300 miles, you're braver than I am! They're tough but I still wouldn't trust mine halfway across the country! Although 1995 was the first really good year for E4OD's, they worked some bugs out.

I have a fairly strong suspicion the truck wasn't abused, there are solid indications everywhere that the guy just drove it back and forth to work almost all highway miles. But it does have a 351 and I work it fairly hard so I have to make sure the fluids aren't sketchy!

I will look into a cooler, I think this old gal could use it, that radiator coil is better than nothing but I'd rather have more.

Thanks for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back