ATF opinions, Syn or non-syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a F-550 4x4, 7.3 and a 4R100 trans and tow heavy.
I'm not interested in extended intervals as much as in durability, quality, heat resistant fluid.
So syn or not? Brands?

Thanks, Tony

Durability, quality, and a heat resistant fluid = full synthetic.

Amsoil, Redline, or RLI.

What year is your truck and how many miles are on it?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A large trans cooler would be the best . Then think oil. [HINT] Trannies break parts.

They come with them stock. This transmission is rated for 1000lb-ft of torque.

Giants:
Any decent scan tool (I was using an old Snap-On graphing scanner) will give you real-time trans temps for your 4R100. You could look into getting a Scanguage or something similar if you want to watch it all the time.

My favourite fluid in this transmission (I have the same one in my Expedition) is a Petro Canada product. That being said, I've had good luck with the Mobil 1 ATF as well.

204SAT is good stuff, but not in the same league as Amsoil ATL.

I used 204SAT in my Buick 4T60E for a couple of years, and it worked well, but it felt worn out at 35-40K miles and was not nearly as consistent over the range of operating temps as compared to Amsoil ATL.

If heat is an issue for you, look into low viscosity options like the Amsoil or Redline (Dex VI/Merc LV). They allow the torque converter to work more efficiently and thus produce less waste heat.

Schaeffer 204SAT is a great value, though. I think I paid $6/qt for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Giants
Thank you Gentleman for the responses, I've been a Schaeffer Oil user for years now and do any of you use their 204s ATF?

I would use a fluid that is "approved" for this application, but that's just me. The tranny was back-spec'd to Mercon V, and I was VERY hesitant to use it at first, but eventually came around.

The fluid I'm using currently: Petro Canada DURADRIVE MV Synthetic is Ford approved and meets the Mercon V spec.

Mobil makes a Mobil 1 Mercon V ATF that would serve you just as well.

Schaeffer 204SAT is Mercon V licensed. (Lic# M000807)
Good stuff, its what Im running. It made a Wide-Open 1-2 shudder disappear when I installed it at 25k.

Smells like fish though. Not fresh fish either!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Durability, quality, and a heat resistant fluid = full synthetic.

Amsoil, Redline, or RLI.

X2 but add in RP as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Good stuff, its what Im running. It made a Wide-Open 1-2 shudder disappear when I installed it at 25k.

Another good choice then!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

lol...We are working on that fish thang. I get a lot of quality garages giving me great feedback on Schaeffers 204sat all trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back