ATF in Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not advocating, or even suggesting anything, But diesel fuel filters take the "black" out of 2% Used oil in diesel very very quickly (return flow for pump cooling means that the tank gets "polished" over a fairly short period of time.)

The older diesels are one thing. The newer diesels running some almost insane common rail fuel pressures, combined with the emissions stuff downstream, and doing some form of "home brew" nonsense can really bite one in the wallet if these systems go down. I have truly been amazed over the years what folks dream up to throw in a tank of diesel. And the lubricity thing has caused the lion's share of kooky solutions. I go thru roughly 21,000 gallons of diesel a year in my commercial stuff. Been that way for a few decades. I have had older engines running on ULSD as well as newer engines. The Lubricity thing is just a ruse to get folks all worried and to try stuff that leads to the ATF thing and a host of other questionable practices. If someone is so persuaded to throw something in their diesel fuel, then use a good diesel fuel additive. And one that actually does something and quit worrying about the lubricity thing. I have not lost an injector or fuel pump in the last 13 years on any of my diesels. That is over 2 million miles. Last injector I had to replace on an engine was in a Cummins N-14 in 2001, and that engine had over 600,000 miles on it. I took it on up to 1.4 million and sold it. The next truck with a Cummins ISX racked up over 900,000 miles before I sold it, and no injector or pump problems. I currently have 342,000 on a factory rebuilt Detroit Series 60, and no fuel related problems.

NONE of them has gotten anything more that winter diesel fuel additive in the winter and an occasional dose of biocide to make sure diesel eating critters did not set up home in my fuel tanks. Some folks just worry to much and read too many articles written by people with very limited experience with this stuff.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And besides, the Cummins system does that to replenish the oil, dumping the old oil into the fuel is to dispose of it. Not for a fuel benefit.

But even the old Cummins oil system is long dead since 2007 when DPF systems came on the scene. Quickest way to take out a DPF system is to throw junk in the fuel, especially oil. Take a look at the price of a replacement DPF filter that Cummins uses on a typical road truck sometime.

Click on the link provided by CT8 regarding the Cummins Centinal oil system. It was only rated up to EPA Tier 2. Tier 3 was introduced in 2007, and tier 4 in 2010. Centinal is not an option anymore for any on road or off road diesel being produced since 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back