ATF in Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to be adding ATF in there alternative fuels(Kerosene) as lubricant,anyone heard or seen the effects of it?

Last edited:
Why would you want to do that??? When ATF and most any other lube oils burn, they produce an ash of sorts, and it can potentially be problemmatic in many ways.

Why use an inferior product when purpose specific adds exist?

Non-ash two stroke oil would be the farthest I'd go...

Don´t ask me probably cheaper or they just don´t know about it,i´m just trying to find something that would cause
people to use it as a "lubricant" with kerosene or the other stuff

If you use kerosene,is there anything other then just 2 stroke you would like to put in it once in a while for lubricity for mechanical wear

Is ATF lubricating at all? I thought not so that´s why i´m asking

ATF costs more than most diesel fuel additives on the market...

ATF of yesteryear was sometimes used as an additive (before additives were *cool*)...but they have changed significantly and are thought to actually reduce the lubrication in fuel. And to top it off, the modern diesel engines are not the same beast in production and anything like that through a HPCR could literally wear it out in a few tank fulls.

According to the U.S. Army's quarterly fuel and lubricant bulletin (March 1994), laboratory testing using the Ball-on-cylinder lubricity evaluation (BOCLE) had shown that the addition of ATF to a low sulfur fuel does not improve the fuel's lubricity rating. Moreover, the presence of ATF in fuel can adversely affect other performance properties of diesel fuel.

It a broken record.
this mtyh that atf is good is amazing.

yea, back in the 50's some found it to be a cheep detergent so they thought it was good.
it is not.

I burn WATF by the gallons, mixed with diesel, jet fuel, and zero issues except coking up the injectors. I am running modified injectors and they are doing much better. 7500 KM's and not as badly coked as the stockers. If I can go 15K before cleaning then i'll be happy.

Originally Posted By: sixtwoturbo
I burn WATF by the gallons, mixed with diesel, jet fuel, and zero issues except coking up the injectors. I am running modified injectors and they are doing much better. 7500 KM's and not as badly coked as the stockers. If I can go 15K before cleaning then i'll be happy.

So there are issues with burning ATF.

What's happening in the combustion chamber and how is it affection the engine oil?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

What's happening in the combustion chamber and how is it affection the engine oil?

Most likely he is getting the jet fuel free and mixing it with diesel. A better alternative would be to mix the jet, diesel, and quality fuel additive run thru a filter after mixing to avoid engine/injector problems. The only time I would run ATF is if my fuel system was frozen and I would fill the filters with straight ATF in the past to thaw the system out....now a day's specialty products are available for this.

Depends on what kind of diesel engine Ari_G is talking about.

If it is a diesel engine up to the 1980s which include the GM's 6.2L Diesel, then using ATF or WATF may be fine with the IP.

After that, then it is questionable.

I own a GM's 6.5L TD which I would not put any ATF or WATF.
I used 2-cycle oil to increase lubricity.
The Optical Sensor inside the IP does not like anything colorful especially if it is black.

If the diesel engine is newer than that like Duramax, I would not do it. You are at the risk of ruining engine in a $50K (USD) truck with the injector cost of at least $200 (USD) a piece so at least $2400 just for injector. I heard that is low ball pricing.

Its one of those talks after a few beers that leads you to say..if it was the end of the world what would you drive? That would lead to me saying that i would have a diesel because of all the things that you can pour in the tank and it will get me past the zombies lol. Here is a list of what you can run in your diesel while your neighbors hunt for gasoline.

http://brinkoffreedom.net/homesteading/alternative-fuels-diesel-engines/

Here is a good discussion on ATF in fuel, the original poster was told to run ATF in his duramax by the technician..then the experts chime in.

http://www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2797

Fwiw, my neighbor I had years ago, added 3/4oz per gallon to his 7.3.

He used it strictly to tow a toy hauler to glamis or a distant area pulling toys...

He one day, used tcw3 that his son recommended (he works for the local dodge dealership here in town) and used a 128:1 mix.

His truck got so quiet and smooth he got worried. Then he got happy that the motor liked it so well. He even picked up ~2mpg towing and that made him happy as a clam.

He stopped using atf after that. But the truck had over 60k before he tried it.

I doubt its hurting much, but I'd follow what other diesel users love and trust and what makes you happy

Ditto on the two-stroke oil. My Cummins is so much smoother & quieter w/ that in the fuel. I also notice a similar effect using biodiesel (on the rare time when I can get it).

John.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Yes, minor issues. The money saved over replacing injectors and a few GP's far outweighs the slight inconvience. I am saving $5-$600 a month in fuel costs, I rebuild my own injectors, nozzles cost $150.

Engine oil seems ok, I change it at 7500 km's using Rotella T6 or Lucas 15w40 synthetic. I've put aprox 20K on using alt fuels, looked inside the precup and a slight build up. The motor is coming out in the next 3-4 months as the main webs are cracked and I have a GEP engine to go in.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

Most likely he is getting the jet fuel free and mixing it with diesel. A better alternative would be to mix the jet, diesel, and quality fuel additive run thru a filter after mixing to avoid engine/injector problems. The only time I would run ATF is if my fuel system was frozen and I would fill the filters with straight ATF in the past to thaw the system out....now a day's specialty products are available for this.

Yep, the jet fuel is basically free. I cut the WMO or ATF with 30% gas, let it sit, centrifuge it then let it sit, CF it again then fill half my tank with either the ATF or WMO concoction, the rest with jet fuel. I used to run the 70/30 ATF and even straight ATF with a 5% gas until I landed the jet fuel. I will NOT run diesel as it means I have to buy it. I get stale gas from friends, etc and have barrels at small engine repair shops as they are happy to give it to me.
grin.gif

Running alt fuels isn't for everyone, it does take time, energy and willingness to source up fuels, and of course more maintenance but for me, its totally worth it. Your results may vary,
wink.gif

I don't think you are going to hurt anything trying to burn ATF, but I wonder why people always feel the need. "My brother's friend Bob has a cousin who used it forever and his injectors lasted 300,000 miles" is usually the given reason why. I've never seen an actual proven case of ATF helping anything. I have seen actual independent proof of other diesel additives, along with 2 stroke oil, helping things.

Just because somebody did it, and it didn't blow up their engine, is not a good reason to continue. I smoke and I haven't gotten cancer yet, does that mean I should keep smoking?

ATF is also one of the most expensive modern automotive chemicals you can buy. It's interesting this myth never specifies which type of ATF to use. Is type F going to give you the same results as Dexron III, as Mercon LV? Hardly.

Why do people think ATF is some magical super dose of detergents? Why would there be *ANY* detergent in a fluid not designed to go into an engine? If such detergents existed, they would be included with your fancy $5/quart engine oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why would you want to do that??? When ATF and most any other lube oils burn, they produce an ash of sorts, and it can potentially be problemmatic in many ways.

Cummins may think otherwise.
atf in diesel

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Cummins may think otherwise.
atf in diesel

And? We've known they are doing this for years. But is the ratio the same? The lube composition the same? Burn byproducts the same? Injection point and conditions for injection the same?

Randomly doping atf into diesel when there are much better options, much more suited for combustion, is stupid.

And besides, the Cummins system does that to replenish the oil, dumping the old oil into the fuel is to dispose of it. Not for a fuel benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back