ATF drain and fill at 19K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be changing engine oil tomorrow and have 4qts of Honda ATF. I’m a bit uncertain if I should swap tranny fluid as well since I’m already there. Car (Honda Pilot) is at 19K currently and haven’t had ATF changed yet. Level, color, shifts are all good. Should i wait another 5k perhaps or change it tomorrow? What would y’all do if you were in my shoes?

Factory trans fill = follow the owner's manual

If you like, you could change it 25%-30% earlier than suggested.

Do a drain and fill. The fluid itself may be in good shape, but there will be a fair amount of wear-in metals present, so flushing some of that out would be a good idea.

Consider catching some in a clean container to send off for analysis to see how things are doing and get a better idea of when to do the next drain and fill.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Do you guys have anything against filling up through the dip stick hole? Fill plug location on the new pilots is totally retarded and requires several components to be removed before i can get a socket on it...don’t feelnlike doing it all...especially with the left foot in the cast

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Thanks for the feedback folks. Do you guys have anything against filling up through the dip stick hole? Fill plug location on the new pilots is totally retarded and requires several components to be removed before i can get a socket on it...don’t feelnlike doing it all...especially with the left foot in the cast

Many trannys don't have a fill hole. Down the tube is the only way.

Do it, I do a drain and fill on my Honda every other oil change, and it always responds well.

19k and every other oil change just seems way too often. It's a sealed system so it's not picking up dirt, and I'm not convinced metal shavings are an issue and will drain out. Metal shavings are more likely to stick to the pan and case than anything but are more likely to be picked up by the filter.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
19k and every other oil change just seems way too often. It's a sealed system so it's not picking up dirt, and I'm not convinced metal shavings are an issue and will drain out. Metal shavings are more likely to stick to the pan and case than anything but are more likely to be picked up by the filter.

If you run 10k OCIs then that's every 20k. That might be a little premature but If I had a brand new automatic trans I would try to keep the fluid as clean as I could.

The less ferrous debris that gets stuck to/inside the solenoids, the better.

On Honda V6s that are in warranty, I recommend a 3x drain and refill at 30K intervals. This is especially true for the 6ATs which seem to deteriorate fluid even more quickly than the 5ATs.

I assume you have the Honda 6AT and not the ZF 9-spd.

Last edited:
I'm from the change it early camp. I did the first pan drop and fluid exchange in my Liberty at 20K and my Rubicon at 10K.

Last edited:
While we go with a 30k mile interval here, a normal autobox creates far more debris when new than as it ages out. So sooner is not a bad thing.

We always drop the pan and change the filter the first time and then every other time. In between I like a complete fluid exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back