ATF contamination in PS Fluid--Honda CR-V 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I recently drained the PS of a '07 Honda CR-V.

Put 26-27 oz of the old fluid into a Valvoline Maxlife ATF container--had a few dribbles of ATF left in the bottle.

I had two fresh 12oz bottles of Honda PS fluid and put them back in the system and ended up a couple ounces short to make it to the Minimum line.

So, I dumped back ~2-3 oz of the old fluid back into the reservoir--forgetting that the bottle was not cleaned before

Should I be concerned about 10 ish drops of MaxLife ATF in the PS system (0.99L capacity) or should I buy 3 bottles and flush the system??

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I'd not lose any sleep over it, particularly since many cars call for ATF to be used as PSF.
(I did a turkey baster change in the Sienna using ST ATF.)

No worries, even though the Hondas take a special fluid, that small amount of ATF is not going to hurt anything. ATF is a hydraulic fluid after all.

Ok, I'm the 30 year die hard Honda/Acura snob, just kidding on the snob part. Form what I have read, learned, learnt... Honda approved P/S fluid is a different chemical composition. Honda P/S Fluid is a mineral-oil type I believe, and may very well have a bad reaction with any other type of fluid you may add that is not compatible. I have no idea what the composition of the fluid you may, or "may" not have slightly contaminated it with. It's not your pump you have to worry about, it's your rack and pinion. A bit more costly and difficult to replace than your P/S pump.

Walmart may carry Honda approved fluid, my local does not! I used to buy it there. It also used to cost me $2.00 per bottle and have recently had to buy BECK/ARNLEY for $4.00 per bottle plus shipping, so cost has go up. I never used Honda branded fluid, pffft. I never had any problems with compatible fluids and I have logged many many miles in Honda/Acura's.

I would flush it. For the few bucks its not worth risking the rack. Like I stated, the pump does not care. I have replaced a few pumps, never once have I had to replace a rack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back