ATF Change

I've got a 94' Mustang GT with AODE transmission. I picked it up last year, and I'm wanting to change the ATF. Question is, what type of fluid should I use if I don't know what's in the transmission right now (synth vs non-synth). TIA!

You don't need to know whats in the transmission

You just need to find a fluid that meets/exceeds/matches whatever spec is in the owners manual.

I'd use Amsoil ATF, Redline D4, or Mobil1 ATF

Change the fluid and cross your fingers. That transmission is not one of Ford's shinning moments.

Last edited:
It should have came with Mercon from the factory. Ford updated the recommendation to Mercon V in the mid 00s.

I'd just toss in Maxlife or similar ATF and be done with it... or maybe a TES668/295 fluid.

Change the fluid and cross your fingers. That transmission is not one of Ford's shinning moments.

Yeah. I never had great luck with Ford's automatic transmissions. This one is slipping frequently. I put Shudder Fixx in it at the end of last year. Drove it briefly before storing it for winter. Seemed to take care of it for the short time I drove it. But it's back in full force. So I'm going to drain, new filter, fill, and maybe replace a quart with Lucas Transmission Fix.

I'm not terribly hopeful on it. And I've got a manual 5 speed on the sidelines that I'll swap in if worse comes to worse. Just want to see how much longer I can use the AODE. Not that I really want to. Just don't want to swap the transmission just yet. Too many other projects I want to work on first.

Back