ATF change for Saturn L200. Can I mix dino w/synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thought process was that SOME synthetic is better that NO synthetic. Since the wife won't let me spring for the $50+ it would cost to buy all synthetic, I was curious about just getting a quart or two to go with the balance of the 8 quarts I need. Her car has 50k miles on it and this will be it's first fluid change.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ashley

I would not worry about it to much! The most important thing is that you are chageing it! Yes synthetic trany fluid is better then non-synthetic but I doubt you would see to much difference unless you plan on keeping this car for a long time!!

Flash:

You can buy synth blend ATF which is essentially what you are proposing. I have had good luck with Valvoline Dura-Blend ATF, not sure if it is available in your area. Brewing your own "blend" would probably be OK, but there is always that potential for so-called "additive clash".

There's always the torque converter to consider when they design synthetic ATF. Most but not all don't get drained upon changeout. I would then assume (dangerous
smile.gif
) that since the typical ATF changeout leaves more behind than the typical engine oil changeout, their additives would be (designed to be) more compatible even across brands.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
There's always the torque converter to consider when they design synthetic ATF. Most but not all don't get drained upon changeout. I would then assume (dangerous
smile.gif
) that since the typical ATF changeout leaves more behind than the typical engine oil changeout, their additives would be (designed to be) more compatible even across brands.

Yeah, 99% of the time only half or less gets changed...I wouldn't worry about mixing anything. If you were going to do that I would get at least 2 or 3 quarts of synthetic.

So, if my owner's manual says the capacity of the transmission is 7 quarts, would some one care to hazzard a guess as to how much I'll drain - and need to replace - when I drop the pan????

quote:

Originally posted by Flash:
So, if my owner's manual says the capacity of the transmission is 7 quarts, would some one care to hazzard a guess as to how much I'll drain - and need to replace - when I drop the pan????

Probably about half of that. My Jeep transmission takes 8 quarts but the pan only holds 4.

Flash,

If your concerned about the amount drained, just take an old gallon jug, and pour the drainpan fluid in it.

This will give you a rough estimation of how many quarts were drained...

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back