ATF Change for Automatic 2005 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheOak
mikeg5 said:
how often do you change those mag filters?

Magnafine states 'annually' but actually mentions 30K as the service life. I'm going 30K because it has a bypass I believe.

I know it's not recommended but..... But I let my Dad's van go 80K about 5 years with Amsoil and it was spotless when I took it apart.

The Magnifine and the pan was spotless. Still shifted perfect.

Last edited:
The Magnefine DOES have a pressure bypass valve.
It is located on the other end of the filter media cartidge in the "take apart" picture of the Magnefine filter.

When adding a Magnefine filter (a very nice upgrade) to your vehicle, use care to avoid sharp bends in the line and avoid "rub" points against sharp or hot (exhaust) parts.
You can put a hose cover over places that are near a sharp place.
You can also use zip ties as needed to fasten the hose in place.
Also check now and then to make sure that it is not rubbing a hole or dangling down where it can catch on something.

From what I have read, the "ideal" location is in the cooler line that is flowing fluid FROM the cooler TO the transmission on a vehilce that is not near new (more than a few thousand miles).
However, the other line is STILL a major improvement over not having it.
For this reason, location may be determined by how things are laid out for your particular vehicle.
It IS important to know which line you are using as you need to know the fluid flow direction.......as you MUST have the fluid flow match the big flow direction arrow on the side of the filter in order to have the bypass valve work......and have the filter media properly supported.

when ordering the correct size, do I look at the OD of the steel lines and ID of the rubber hose? From what I can tell my camry has 3/8 or 10mm size tubes and hose. thinking about adding one this xmas break.

Really nice write up and excellent work done.

However, personally I would not go into such trouble just to change ATF. Corollas and Toyotas in general have very good transmissions from my experience. And I don't really like the idea of in line filters where they are not absolutely needed (like sealed transmissions maybe).

I think 3 drain-refills over a few weeks would have the same result. I don't know if this car is new to you, but 60k miles is a little too long for the first ATF change. I like to do first ATF change no later than 20k-30k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back