ATF after sitting in garage

Ever wonder what happens to ATF if left in the garage (dry) after 4 years? This was a 2.5 gal jug of Amsoil ATF I opened and used 1 qt then closed it tightly and forgot about it. Due to some medical issues over the last 4 years I forgot a lot more than the ATF so I am not surprised, I even bought more of it and used it while this was "lost".
I found it and wondered if it was still good, the fluid was bright and clear, no additive drop out. It is not good. Best $10 I ever spent getting this done before risking it based on appearance alone. Now I get to throw over $100 away. LOL
Amsoil.jpg

When my Dad retired in 1979, he brought home a bunch of things from his gas station including ESSO Dexron(from the early 70s) and some EXXON Dexron/DexronII(from the later 70s) in pint cans. We used them up in the early 90s in an 88 Nissan Stanza and an 88 Honda Accord and they were fine.

Do the Amsoil jugs have a foil seal when new? If not, and I know many brands don't, then an unopened jug may have the similar issues over the same amount of time.

This had me wondering myself as I have some Supertech Dex 6 in my garage that has been sitting for like 4 years or so. It is unopened, but has seen both some hot and cold temps in the that garage…….

The water could definitely have a negative impact on friction materials. But the water can also boil off from normal use, so I don't know...

Toyota has a warning about only use ATF from sealed containers due to their fluid's propensity to absorb moisture. Perhaps this is an example?
I think you are correct. No way am I using fluid with any water in it in a transmission. The clutch plates don't handle water well even in small amounts.

This one runs 160-175f. The wet clutch plates are made from a paper type material and the glue dissolves in water, once the contaminated fluid gets into the clutches it stays there even when the car is not operating basically letting the clutches sit in contaminated fluid 24/7.
I look at this way, I spent $10+post to test it, threw $100 worth of fluid out but quite possibly saved removing and rebuilding a transmission.

Back