ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know ATF+4 is considered a 'synthetic'. Is it by wording alone? How does it compare to the high dollar boutique ATFs? Amsoil,Mobil etc.? I'm dubious its in the league of the 'high dollar' synthetics. Just the price of alone tells me such.

Well, just by price alone as you mention, ATF-4 is not a boutique ATF but a synthetic(?) just the same(as is MaxLife ATF according to Valvolines web site). I often wondered if ATF-4 would be good for all automatic trannys. I did once dump in 4 qts of ATF-4 into a GM 4 speed auto tranny(95 Lumina) and the tranny went along just fine without any issues.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I did once dump in 4 qts of ATF-4 into a GM 4 speed auto tranny(95 Lumina) and the tranny went along just fine without any issues.

Not a good idea if you don't mind me saying. ATF+4 would not have even passed DEXRON-III requirements in several respects.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I know ATF+4 is considered a 'synthetic'. Is it by wording alone?

Group III so in NA it can legally be termed as 'synthetic'

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I did once dump in 4 qts of ATF-4 into a GM 4 speed auto tranny(95 Lumina) and the tranny went along just fine without any issues.

Not a good idea if you don't mind me saying. ATF+4 would not have even passed DEXRON-III requirements in several respects.

And DEXRON-III doesn't meet ATF+4 requirements.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
ATF+4 is phenomenal OEM fluid. get an equivalent and you'll be fine.

If the trans spec's ATF+4 the only equivalent is ATF+4, anything else and you roll the dice.

After owning many Chrysler vehicles over the years one hard lesson I learned is don't mess with that tranny fluid.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

I don't mind you saying so and I don't suggest that anyone try this at home as I am a...(Yeah right)!
smile.gif

I realize that the fluids are different and I did it for a friend who didn't care. He justed wanted his tranny topped off as he limped/glided into my driveway(I have no idea how, being 4qts low). All I had at the time was ATF-4 from the '97 RAM. This was around 2002 and he sold the car ~1 year later...All was OK, surprisingly!

I think that the ATF-4 just mixed in with the rest of the crud in the ~130xxx mile tranny.

Last edited:
For sure:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

http://u225.torque.net/cars/tech/trans/982674.pdf

Quote:
The initial development was done using Shell's XHVI base oil. Only much later were other Group III base oils approved. (Currently, SK in Korea and PetroCanada are the only additional approved base oil suppliers.) The use of Group III base oils is probably the leading cause for ATF+4 being a more expensive fluid than ATF+3 (which according to the paper uses a Group II base oil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back