ATF+4

Hello, did a search and no info on this Chrysler ATF. Would like to know if this is a full synthetic? It states life time fill on the back? Thanks!

ATF +4 is fully synthetic. life time fill is false. All tranny oils & their addtives eventually wear out.

porschepilot

Thanks for the fast reply. I wounder what base stock is used in this ATF? When would one change it? I do use my Jeep as a tow vehicle and have put 35k miles on a total transmission oil change. I don't like doing the oil smell and look at the oil color check unless that's the way to go?

It is a group III. If it was mine and I was using an inexpensive +4 like ST I would flush it at 25K and sleep well at night. An inline filter of some sort would be a great investment as well. And of course.....

Last edited:

porschepilot

Oh thanks I'm glad to be hear! I order 6 of those blackstone kits so Ill show info on oils im using to compare. So a group III oil is highly refined petroleum from what I have been reading? Right now the oil doesn't look bad and I though a full oil change every 30k miles was a good idea also. I was thinking of running Redline c+ if it might give me longer drain intervals?

I've been using ATF+4 in multiple vehicles since its inception. yup. iits a grp 3 lube. I think if you check your maintenance book it will say that "lifetime fill" does not apply to severe service - aka towing. I think they actually call for 30k replacement. also, depending which jeep & engine you have, you probably have the 45rfe tranny - which actually has two filters: one standard filter in the sump and an additional filter that filters the fluid as it returns from the cooler. that filter is a screw on (just like an oil filter) but is mounted inside the pan. you can extend the interval with Redline C+ or Amsoil ATF.

+4 is as good as it gets. It is indeed engineered for lifetime fill. More info here if you scroll down to the alldata thread.

Redline C+ is a great synthetic version of ATF +4. I know alot of jeep guys that swear by it. You can extend your drain intervals with the Redline C+, but don't forget the most important addition here, which would be a high quality atf filter of some sort. You can keep it simple and go with a magnefine, step up a notch and go with a Racor spin on (other spin-ons of lesser quality are also available, and there is always bypass filtration, which I am running on my vehicles. Really anything is better than what you have from the factory, which is effectively nothing. If you go with a synthetic ATF make sure to perform a cooler line flush so that you are not wasting that expensive stuff. Drain and fills take alot more fluid to accomplish a 95% or so replacement of the old atf. And to answer your question, yes Group III oils are refined petrol products. A true synthetic would be a Group IV/V which RL is. There is nothing wrong with Group III ATF's, although I have more faith in IV/V base ATF's and have had better results using them.

Last edited:
 Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
+4 is as good as it gets. It is indeed engineered for lifetime fill. More info here if you scroll down to the alldata thread.
i agree. i changed the ATF+4 at 100K miles and it looked brand new when it was being sucked through the tube....it made me think i wasted my money for a second, but i thought it was due for a re-fresh.

A UOA on any fluid that looks great would be interesting. Lifetime fill is a farce. How does one define lifetime? until you trade it in?