ATF 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between ATF 4 brands other than price? Do they all use the same formula per chrystler?

Dealer is the most expensive then castrol and valvoline at around 6. Then aap has their label at just over 2. Walmarts brand also carries it but unsure of price.

I can really save some big money on this.

They all have to be the same formulation per the Chrysler stipulation. At least that is how I have always understood it...

I have used the WalMart ATF+4 in my Grand Cherokee and Wrangler. It worked great and I had zero problems.

Carquest does sell it too, $5.00 a quart and use it in the newer transmissions,will do damage if not used.In the older transmissions,you can get away with it and it works.LubeGard in the black bottle does turn dextron into the ATF+4 fluid.I know a transmission shop that does it this way and no comebacks.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
How dose lubegard turn one thing into a another?

It will match the performance spec's of the other fluid. It won't match the material spec's for the fluid.

So is all ATF 4 the same or not? I'm a bit confused over what is being said hear. I thought ATF 4 was a licensed formula from the automaker. So all formulas are made from the same sources just repackaged. But now I'm unsure do to the huge price differences on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Jeepinjason
So is all ATF 4 the same or not? I'm a bit confused over what is being said hear. I thought ATF 4 was a licensed formula from the automaker. So all formulas are made from the same sources just repackaged. But now I'm unsure do to the huge price differences on the shelf.

That's a good question and I wonder the same thing. I would be more comfortable using a Pennzoil Product that meets the ATF-4 spec, since it might be on the higher end of the scale. That is unless I was 100% certain that the only difference was the color of the bottle and the label. All though all SM oils meet certain specs some are still better than others. I would imagine ATF is the same thing, but am willing to learn if all ATF-4 fluids are exactly the same.

AD

The material specs for ATF+4 are very tight. You can use any brand of ATF+4 with confidence.

Quote:
So is all ATF 4 the same or not?

If it's a licensed +4 product, it will conform to those spec's. The question was how Lube Guard changed one material into another. It doesn't. It adds material that allows a fluid to perform to another fluid's performance spec's ..not material spec's.

If it says ATF+4 on the front of the bottle, its licensed. You can use the store brand ones but I prefer the brand name ATF+4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back