ATF +4 vs. SP-III in Aisin Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Aisin-Warner transmission in my Montero, which is capable of using both Dexron III and SP-III. I find the transmission shifts and runs much smoother with SP-III, so that is what I use.

However, friend of mine has a similar truck of '98 vintage, with the same transmission. Since we're both due for our 25,000 mile service soon, we got all our supplies together and got a very decent amount knocked off.

He works for a Chrysler dealer, and can get ATF +4 for significantly cheaper than SP-III and any Dexron III. Since we do cooler line flushes, and require at least 10 litres of fluid, that would be worthwhile.

I've read here before that ATF +3 was essentially the same as SP-III with a different name, and somebody was mentioning that they use ATF +4 in SP-III applications. But seeing these transmissions are Aisin-Warner units that Mitsubishi has specified as capable of using both Dexron III and SP-III, I'm wondering how well ATF +4 would actually work (or not work!).

On a side note, I notice Chrysler recommends ATF +4 in Mercedes 722.6 transmissions they've been using. Are those units modified in any way to use this fluid, or can I also safely use ATF +4 in a Mercedes ML500 with a 722.6 transmission?

Input will be muchly appreciated, thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Smart blend additive (black bottle) says " Converts dexron 3 into highly friction modified fluid such as SPIII and ATF +4 " So they are similar.

go to allpar's website to learn more about the various ATF+ variants. according to their info, atf+4 has the same properties as atf+3, except that atf+4 is a grp III product to hold the properties longer as atf_3 starts to lose it as early as 30k miles.

I own two mitsubishi's that were sold thru chrysler dealerships. Both require sp3-III in the trans and PS. The dealershp uses atf+4 for both apllications, so that is what I am using. No issues thuse far. I can't tell any differences when I did exchanges from sp-III to atf+4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back