ATF+4 options

I've been using Supertech ATF+4 for the last couple years, looking to see if there's a better quality option out there. I noticed Castrol's specifically mentions full synthetic and at $1 a more, I'm contemplating whether the extra cost is justified.

I don't see synthetic listed on the Supertech bottle, but I am aware that all ATF+4 licensed products are made to a standard that requires at least some synthetic base stocks and a specific additive package. The general consensus has been that any ATF+4 licensed product is a good one. But are there any "better" ones out there that might possibly outperform Supertech? There must be some difference between the different ATF+4 licensed products. Curious what you guys think. If anyone knows of any good ATF+4 deals, would love to hear about them.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I've been using Supertech ATF+4 for the last couple years, looking to see if there's a better quality option out there. I noticed Castrol's specifically mentions full synthetic and at $1 a more, I'm contemplating whether the extra cost is justified.

I don't see synthetic listed on the Supertech bottle, but I am aware that all ATF+4 licensed products are made to a standard that requires at least some synthetic base stocks and a specific additive package. The general consensus has been that any ATF+4 licensed product is a good one. But are there any "better" ones out there that might possibly outperform Supertech? There must be some difference between the different ATF+4 licensed products. Curious what you guys think. If anyone knows of any good ATF+4 deals, would love to hear about them.

No there isn't some basestocks for ATF+4 is a group III and one additive package.

There is no difference between approved and licensed brands.

I bought a few cases of Castrol ATF+4 when they had their 2 for $8 deal. If not for that, I'd just run ST.

Don't go to WM on a Saturday night expecting to find any for a job the following day. They'll be sold out for sure.

When I changed the transmission fluid on my Wrangler I got the Mopar fluid at a Dodge dealer for not much more than the other brands.Wasn't going to save a buck or two on a transmission service.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I bought a few cases of Castrol ATF+4 when they had their 2 for $8 deal. If not for that, I'd just run ST.

Don't go to WM on a Saturday night expecting to find any for a job the following day. They'll be sold out for sure.

I loaded up on a similar deal. For $4/quart that ended up being the best price around at the time.

Anyone ever do a VOA to confirm this? I have a hard time believing there's absolutely no difference. Are they all premium fluids made to a tight spec? Sure. But that doesn't mean that one might not have some advantage over the other.

When I contacted the Center for Quality Assurance, a tech. there implied that there could be extremely slight differences in the synthetic base oils used, but all of the licensed products met the performance requirements.

Yes, there can be differences: https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-faq/

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
So all ATF+4 is synthetic whether it is listed on the bottle or not?

The complete answer to this question is vague but from my research, yes, ATF+4 was the "first" synthetic ATF.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

The complete answer to this question is vague but from my research, yes, ATF+4 was the "first" synthetic ATF.

I read a bit of the link that doitmyself posted and yes, it appears all ATF+4 is synthetic. There are minimums to be ATF+4, but I wonder if there are some oils (like Ravenol and Castrol) that far exceed those minimums. Not sure...

Yes all have to be a group III baseoil from with Shell, SK, or Petro Canada with a Lubrizol additive package.

All three baseoil's are "group III+".

I use,(used), Red Line C+. Their data sheets and sds indicate other base oils besides Group III. Their data sheet used to mention ester as an ingredient but doesn't any longer. It still has a much lower pour point than any of the usual go to's. Food for thought.

So who makes Supertech ATF+4? It is the cheapest regular price I've seen, at $4.82 a quart. Is it another Warren Distribution product?
Most likely.

I use,(used), Red Line C+. Their data sheets and sds indicate other base oils besides Group III. Their data sheet used to mention ester as an ingredient but doesn't any longer. It still has a much lower pour point than any of the usual go to's. Food for thought.
This is sad. Kendall/COP bought them out a few years ago, so it's possible they cheapened the formula :mad::alien::unsure::sneaky:

Most likely.

This is sad. Kendall/COP bought them out a few years ago, so it's possible they cheapened the formula :mad::alien::unsure::sneaky:

Maybe, but to get the pour point from the typical -54 F to -76F they still have to be doing something a little bit more special. I'm betting Kendall hasn't hurt it any and they have ester in the base oil. I can't see how they could get a pour point like that out of it while being right in the average viscosity range for ATF+4, which is a very tight range. I think I've seen 7.4 to 7.7 at 100 degrees C among the major brands, and theirs is 7.5.

Last edited:
Back