ATF+4 options

Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
2,962
Location
Kentucky
I've been using Supertech ATF+4 for the last couple years, looking to see if there's a better quality option out there. I noticed Castrol's specifically mentions full synthetic and at $1 a more, I'm contemplating whether the extra cost is justified. I don't see synthetic listed on the Supertech bottle, but I am aware that all ATF+4 licensed products are made to a standard that requires at least some synthetic base stocks and a specific additive package. The general consensus has been that any ATF+4 licensed product is a good one. But are there any "better" ones out there that might possibly outperform Supertech? There must be some difference between the different ATF+4 licensed products. Curious what you guys think. If anyone knows of any good ATF+4 deals, would love to hear about them.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,194
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I've been using Supertech ATF+4 for the last couple years, looking to see if there's a better quality option out there. I noticed Castrol's specifically mentions full synthetic and at $1 a more, I'm contemplating whether the extra cost is justified. I don't see synthetic listed on the Supertech bottle, but I am aware that all ATF+4 licensed products are made to a standard that requires at least some synthetic base stocks and a specific additive package. The general consensus has been that any ATF+4 licensed product is a good one. But are there any "better" ones out there that might possibly outperform Supertech? There must be some difference between the different ATF+4 licensed products. Curious what you guys think. If anyone knows of any good ATF+4 deals, would love to hear about them.
No there isn't some basestocks for ATF+4 is a group III and one additive package. There is no difference between approved and licensed brands.
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Messages
13,403
Location
Indiana
I bought a few cases of Castrol ATF+4 when they had their 2 for $8 deal. If not for that, I'd just run ST. Don't go to WM on a Saturday night expecting to find any for a job the following day. They'll be sold out for sure.
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
8,061
Location
Suburban Washington DC
When I changed the transmission fluid on my Wrangler I got the Mopar fluid at a Dodge dealer for not much more than the other brands.Wasn't going to save a buck or two on a transmission service.
 
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
36,200
Location
NY
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I bought a few cases of Castrol ATF+4 when they had their 2 for $8 deal. If not for that, I'd just run ST. Don't go to WM on a Saturday night expecting to find any for a job the following day. They'll be sold out for sure.
I loaded up on a similar deal. For $4/quart that ended up being the best price around at the time.
 

92saturnsl2

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
2,962
Location
Kentucky
Anyone ever do a VOA to confirm this? I have a hard time believing there's absolutely no difference. Are they all premium fluids made to a tight spec? Sure. But that doesn't mean that one might not have some advantage over the other.
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
8,237
Location
MI
When I contacted the Center for Quality Assurance, a tech. there implied that there could be extremely slight differences in the synthetic base oils used, but all of the licensed products met the performance requirements. Yes, there can be differences: https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-faq/
 
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
2,663
Location
South Carolina
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
So all ATF+4 is synthetic whether it is listed on the bottle or not?
The complete answer to this question is vague but from my research, yes, ATF+4 was the "first" synthetic ATF.
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
9,105
Location
Houston, TX
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
So all ATF+4 is synthetic whether it is listed on the bottle or not?
The complete answer to this question is vague but from my research, yes, ATF+4 was the "first" synthetic ATF.
I read a bit of the link that doitmyself posted and yes, it appears all ATF+4 is synthetic. There are minimums to be ATF+4, but I wonder if there are some oils (like Ravenol and Castrol) that far exceed those minimums. Not sure...
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,194
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
So all ATF+4 is synthetic whether it is listed on the bottle or not?
Yes all have to be a group III baseoil from with Shell, SK, or Petro Canada with a Lubrizol additive package. All three baseoil's are "group III+".
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2017
Messages
2,717
Location
WY
I use,(used), Red Line C+. Their data sheets and sds indicate other base oils besides Group III. Their data sheet used to mention ester as an ingredient but doesn't any longer. It still has a much lower pour point than any of the usual go to's. Food for thought.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
12,217
Location
USA
So who makes Supertech ATF+4? It is the cheapest regular price I've seen, at $4.82 a quart. Is it another Warren Distribution product?
Most likely.

I use,(used), Red Line C+. Their data sheets and sds indicate other base oils besides Group III. Their data sheet used to mention ester as an ingredient but doesn't any longer. It still has a much lower pour point than any of the usual go to's. Food for thought.
This is sad. Kendall/COP bought them out a few years ago, so it's possible they cheapened the formula :mad::alien::unsure::sneaky:
 
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
1,998
Location
Danville, Indiana
Most likely.


This is sad. Kendall/COP bought them out a few years ago, so it's possible they cheapened the formula :mad::alien::unsure::sneaky:

Maybe, but to get the pour point from the typical -54 F to -76F they still have to be doing something a little bit more special. I'm betting Kendall hasn't hurt it any and they have ester in the base oil. I can't see how they could get a pour point like that out of it while being right in the average viscosity range for ATF+4, which is a very tight range. I think I've seen 7.4 to 7.7 at 100 degrees C among the major brands, and theirs is 7.5.
 
Last edited:
Top