ATF 3309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil ATF 3309 is the only "aftermarket" ATF, that I am aware of, specifically made for Toyota Type-IV trans fluid requirements. (I actually believe Mobil makes the Toyota Type IV sold at my nearby dealership since the Toyota fluid is packaged in Mobil-style bottles.) I haven't found any place that sells the Mobil ATF 3309, though. I have been to AAP, Pep Boys, some independents. What about Autozone? Anybody ever seen any of this anywhere? ATF 3309

Many of the Mobil non-syn ATFs are not found even on the west coast. Sucks really... I had to call up a distributor and he told me it has to be ordered from some east coast Mobil facility! I think Mobil to take these products off it website if it can't make them accessible to users.

kanling

I called a NAPA dealer today and ask if they carry the Mobil ATF 3309 or a NAPA branded equivalent. I told him it was for a Toyota application. He checked his guide book, which indeed said a T-IV fluid is required. He put me on hold and I heard him yelling accross the store if the other guy had ever heard of a Type T-IV fluid before. Neither of them had heard of it. "Must be new", he said. (As I understand, it has been around for more than a few years.) It makes you wonder what you get if you have your Toyota transmission serviced someplace other than the dealer. [Freak]

I posted same question 2 weeks ago. I could not find it locally nor could I find it online. I use it in my daughters Saturn Ion. Saturn dealers wanted $16 a quart. I found it at a Toyota dealer for $4.95 a quart. None of the syn ATF`s are approved for the T-IV trannies.

kanling

I think I'm just going to get some at the Toyota dealer. I don't remember their price exactly, but I don't think it was too far out of line. I did find an online place that has the 3309, avlube.com Assuming their price is for a case, it comes out to $4.75/qt shipped to my place. A bit high. Amsoil recommends their synthetic ATF for Type IV applications. It is kind of a "all applications" stuff, according to them. But very expensive if you are content with a non-syn.

Mobil has flooded the market with Mobil I syn ATF and nothing else. There is too much hype of their Mobil 1 Syn ATF in many forums and I doubt they even invest money on the numerous non available ATFs which is on their website (Sales on a particular product goes back to R&D to make it better, all that I see is Mobil 1 becoming a MV ATF over the years). I was quoted by a distributor for Mobil blended ATFs like Mobil Multi-Vehicle and Mobil Mercon V for $45-$50 a case without S+H. So I was looking at close to $5 for blends when OTC, Castrol/Pennzoil blend ATFs were just under $4. I had the biggest laugh of the day. Now some of the Valvoline, Castrol and Pennzoil MV ATFs are complaint with T-IV. Check them out!!!

kanling

Well, I went to the dealer and they wanted 5 bucks a quart. So not as reasonable as I thought. I guess I might have to try one of the multi-vehicle formulations if I can find one of those. I wonder what the difference between Type IV requirements and others (Dexron III, for example) are? Maybe I'll have to search or start a thread on that.

3309 I have an 03 Volvo s40, and Volvo requires 3309. They sell it for $20/qt but I found it at Boncosky Oil Company in Chicago, had it shipped and got it for about $5.50 qt in case lots. As best I can tell it is the same as Toyota T-IV, which I can get locally for about $4.00 qt. I'm not sure I have the nerve to pour the T-IV in the Volvo yet, but this site helps. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.