At what temp does new 5w30 outflow 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At around -45 degrees.........
tongue.gif

The difference is the label on the bottle.
grin.gif
Actually the pour point of the 5W is -54 F and the 10W is -49 F.
click here

edited to fix the length (long URLs make the screen go funny for me, so I changed it to a clickable link)

[ November 24, 2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Isn't the whole point of 5w-30 that it's supposed to flow better than 10w-30 at low temps? I must not be understanding how it works...

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
Isn't the whole point of 5w-30 that it's supposed to flow better than 10w-30 at low temps?

All things being equal, yes. In other words, if you're comparing 5w30 and 10w30 of the same oil (say Pennzoil conventional oil), then the 5w30 will have better low temp flow properties. However, if you compare Mobil 1 10w30 to Pennzoil coventional 5w30, the Mobil 1 will have better low temperature flow properties. It's a "thicker" oil, but its pour point is significantly lower than Pennzoil's conventional 5w30.

It depends on the oil. Mobil 1 5w-30 is thinner than M1 10w-30 at any temp below 100*C. At 40*C (104*F) the 10w-30 is 14% thicker than the 5w-30. At 0*C the 10w-30 is about 20% thicker. At -25*C (-13*F), it's about 40% thicker, and it's cold cranking viscosity is about 70% higher than the 5w-30.

Mobil will send you a temp vs visc chart if you ask for VTA018A.pdf. It's real handy for figuring this stuff out.

[ November 24, 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Thanks for the info. I know synthetics will flow better than conventionals but I'd like to compare apples to apples. I'm trying to decide at what temp it's best to switch to 5w30 in conventionals and synthetics. I'm wondering where it is that the stability of 10w30 starts getting outweighed by 5w30's superior flow.

Jay-thanks I'll be sure and request that pdf.

5w-30 outflows 10W-30 at all temperatures. To see this for yourself pour samples of each into one pint or half pint bottles then jiggle the bottles and see how the 5W-30 flows better at room temperature.

Next stick both bottles in the freezer overnight.
In the morning you'll see the 5W-30 flows noticably better when you turn the bottles upside down. Likewise, 0W-30 outflows 5W-30 at freezer temperatures (about zero degrees F).

Now things get interesting when you compare a 5W-40 with a 10W-30 at zero degrees. In this case there is not much difference, although the 5W-40 flows marginally better.

quote:

Originally posted by RobZ71LM7:
Thanks for the info. I know synthetics will flow better than conventionals but I'd like to compare apples to apples. I'm trying to decide at what temp it's best to switch to 5w30 in conventionals and synthetics. I'm wondering where it is that the stability of 10w30 starts getting outweighed by 5w30's superior flow.

Jay-thanks I'll be sure and request that pdf.

If you go here you can select the conventional oil and compare your "apples to apples"

http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/Apps/D...Automotive?ReadForm&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back