At what point is an OEM required provide oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
For example, looking at the requirements for a 2019 330i (per the official BMW USA owners manual), you have two options:

- LL-01 FE
- LL-14 FE+

I can't add to the conversation but this is the first time I have heard of FF-14 FE+ and BMW using 0W-20. That seems so thin for a semi-performance engine. Yes I am old
grin2.gif

Does anyone know what the factory fill is for the 488 Pista or Huracan Performante?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ringmaster
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
For example, looking at the requirements for a 2019 330i (per the official BMW USA owners manual), you have two options:

- LL-01 FE
- LL-14 FE+

I can't add to the conversation but this is the first time I have heard of FF-14 FE+ and BMW using 0W-20. That seems so thin for a semi-performance engine. Yes I am old
grin2.gif

Does anyone know what the factory fill is for the 488 Pista or Huracan Performante?

I'm sure the Pista is Pennzoil 0w40, I cant find the Performante but the regular Huracan and R8 both use plain old VW 504.

Side note, the Huracan needs 57 bolts removed to access the oil drains, of which there are six. Lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by exranger06
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by exranger06
This is no different than having to buy transmission fluid or coolant at the dealer because there's no (officially licensed) aftermarket alternative available.

The whole "officially licensed" is supposed to be legally unenforceable. It simply has to provide the level of protection needed. However, I understand that some fluid manufacturers fight hard when a manufacturer tries anything. While I'm not a fan of Amsoil per se, I've heard they'll bring in their lawyers to fight for their customers.

That doesn't negate anything I said...

I agree but the explanation provides more detailed context and enforces your post.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I'm sure the Pista is Pennzoil 0w40, I cant find the Performante but the regular Huracan and R8 both use plain old VW 504.

Side note, the Huracan needs 57 bolts removed to access the oil drains, of which there are six. Lol

The Ferrari is most likely PP Euro / SHU 5W-40. Supercars aren't overly hard on oil. They have big dry sump systems with capacities in gallons that anti-aerates the oil and has big air-to-oil heat exchangers... and no low RPM lugging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back