At what mileage would you go with Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 1200 miles on the engine.
A switch to Redline ok now or would you wait?
The car will do 6-7K miles a year and I want to do a yearly change..

Nice Lexus!! I've always like the ES series

I would use factory fill for 3000 miles and change it using Toyota oil or a name brand dino just to give the engine time to break in.

It doesnt make sense to put in a high dollar oil when a lot of metal from break in will contaminate the oil quickly. So maybe start Redline at 10-15k or after your second OCI

On Redline's website it is recommended that you wait a min. of 3k miles before switching to their oil.

Last edited:
Thanks all.
I guess I'll stay with dino for quite awhile.
The car sits a lot in winter and used in the other seasons.
1200 miles since Nov.I've always liked to change the oil at the first 1200-1500 miles.So,I'll do a dino change and get the 6 month or 5K mile freebie from Lexus but I hate going to the dealer.
I figured I'd go Redline and do the yearly 6-7K mile change.
With the RX,I do a 7-8 months 8K mile change with Redline.
Maybe go longer after I get a Blackstone test.

Ultimately it depends how you define break in and how long that takes for your particular engine. I changed to redline 5w40 at 5k. Factory fill until then.

As the graph shows, the rate of accumulation is high at the start and diminished quite a bit by 5k on my engine. After changing to redline the rate of accumulation is low and pretty constant. That last run I purposely ran the oil a little too long to find the upper limit of my comfort zone with this oil on the FSI and it shows on the graph.

redlineppm.jpg

Here is the graph for many vw 2.0 FSIs. As you can see the rate of accumulation tracks by miles on engine.

VAG2lFSIUOAdatabase16ppmfegraphc-1.jpg

I'd leave factory oil int he car for whatever OCI the book states and advice you to change your oil filter after the first 1000 or 2000 miles though. It's crazy at how much metal shavings can be in a new engine.

i've always kept the factory oil in for 6000 miles with a filter change every 2000 miles. the thing is you never know if the factory oil had anything special to help that new engine out. i could be wrong but it always worried me so i figure with a filter change every 2000 miles everything would be ok. that first filter change is very important though. my lst car had all kinds of fine metal shavings in the filter media.

after 6000 miles run on the factory fill i'd always hit up some castrol gtx for another 6000 miles before going to a syn oil. in my current car after 12,000 miles on factory + dino mobile 1 was my choice. I was on a OCI of 6000 miles and did two fills with mobile 1. Got scared away from it after all these reports of high iron issues. went back to GTX and in one week i'll be using red line. in no way do i need red line for my car but i always like messing around and finding something to spend a little money on.

oh sorry that i got super off topic and such :D

I'd run a good synthetic until 100K miles, then go over to Reline. It's a great oil, but IMHO, not worth the cost.

It's great on older engines, though, as it sticks to the inside of the engine due to its polarity. Hence, you never get a dry startup.

Originally Posted By: Velo_Fello

I'd run a good synthetic until 100K miles, then go over to Reline. It's a great oil, but IMHO, not worth the cost.

It's great on older engines, though, as it sticks to the inside of the engine due to its polarity. Hence, you never get a dry startup.

I'm actually a Amsoil user for years and am a Preferred customer.
I went to Redline because someone here mentioned RL can quiet down an engine.
The wife's RX has the Toyota winter cold engine piston slap.I tried Amsoil SSO and the noise was louder.Went back to dino.
Read about RL and tried it.The piston slap was still there on cold starts but not as loud as Amsoil SSO and Toyota dino.The RL also got the piston slap noise to go away faster.
Same engine but no piston slat at this point on the ES so I figured I'd stay with RL rather than go with two brands.
I've always used synthetics early.

Run FF to 3,000 miles, then do a 3K mile run on a good dino, then switch to redline. This is to flush the rest of the break in junk out before you leave oil in for a long time.

Redline is GREAT oil so don't get me wrong here but aren't you worried about taking a risk like that on such an expensive vehicle? Running an oil that won't meet your warranty requirements on any vehicle, let alone a more expensive brand with higher repair costs like a Lexus, seems unwise. I wouldn't do it until warranty expired but obviously it is your vehicle so your call.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Redline is GREAT oil so don't get me wrong here but aren't you worried about taking a risk like that on such an expensive vehicle? Running an oil that won't meet your warranty requirements on any vehicle, let alone a more expensive brand with higher repair costs like a Lexus, seems unwise. I wouldn't do it until warranty expired but obviously it is your vehicle so your call.

I appreciate your concern but I've used synthetic before the warranty ended for over 25 years with a number of vehicles.
So far,so good.The chances of a warranty issue due to a oil problem are very,very small.
Even if a problem happens,I may even have a chance to change the oil before the car is brought into the dealer service.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt

I appreciate your concern but I've used synthetic before the warranty ended for over 25 years with a number of vehicles.
So far,so good.The chances of a warranty issue due to a oil problem are very,very small.
Even if a problem happens,I may even have a chance to change the oil before the car is brought into the dealer service.
56.gif

Has nothing to do with Redline being synthetic. I run synthetic in my vehicles as well. The issue is Redline offers no API Cetified oils and that can be a problem for you if you suffer engine failure. Also, won't matter if you change the oil if you suffer a catastrophic/lubrication related issue. The car mfg is most likely going to request your OCI documentation to see that you used the correct weight and rated oil and that you changed it on time.

I actually have worked in a dealership parts & service department( not Lexus but they are all the same )and routinely we asked for proof of proper maaintenance when none existed on the computer for that vehicle. With all car mfg's having financial struggles these days they let less and less slip by and they have tightened up making sure that dealers check stuff like that. Car mfg's takes the use of API Certified oils very serious.

I do agree the chances of there being a problem are very small. That doesn't mean none though. My Sister bought a brand new vehicle that needed a new engine within the 1st 3 months. It happens. Hopefully you have the coin to fix the problem( or hire a lawyer )if one does happen though because I can assure you that Lexus WILL ask for proof you did everything right before doing the repair and if you can only show Redline for OC's they are going to balk at any repairs.

Good luck.
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt

56.gif

Has nothing to do with Redline being synthetic. I run synthetic in my vehicles as well. The issue is Redline offers no API Cetified oils and that can be a problem for you if you suffer engine failure. Also, won't matter if you change the oil if you suffer a catastrophic/lubrication related issue. The car mfg is most likely going to request your OCI documentation to see that you used the correct weight and rated oil and that you changed it on time.

I actually have worked in a dealership parts & service department( not Lexus but they are all the same )and routinely we asked for proof of proper maaintenance when none existed on the computer for that vehicle. With all car mfg's having financial struggles these days they let less and less slip by and they have tightened up making sure that dealers check stuff like that. Car mfg's takes the use of API Certified oils very serious.

I do agree the chances of there being a problem are very small. That doesn't mean none though. My Sister bought a brand new vehicle that needed a new engine within the 1st 3 months. It happens. Hopefully you have the coin to fix the problem( or hire a lawyer )if one does happen though because I can assure you that Lexus WILL ask for proof you did everything right before doing the repair and if you can only show Redline for OC's they are going to balk at any repairs.

Good luck.
11.gif

I've used non API Cetified Amsoil for years before Redline.I was never worried with Amsoil because Amsoil will take care of any problem caused by the oil.
I don't think Redline does that so there's more of a risk.I may go with Amsoil SSO or 5w30 ASL in the ES for Amsoil's backing in case of a problem.Got to stay with RL in the RX because it has helped with the piston slap noise.
Both V6 engines have been around for years so I'm not worried.A new engine design would have me more worried.
I also have a buddy who has a shop and does all my work so oil change receipts and type of oil isn't a problem.
A Lexus warranty is 4/50.Too long to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back