AT&T Bailing Out of U-Verse

Interesting. Didn't realize this was going on. I have heard lots of complaints locally about TWC. Those unhappy switched to UV. Now it's going away? They'll be pushed to satellite. Don't have FiOS here.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...-toward-directv

Quote:
AT&T Inc. is phasing out the U-verse TV service as it pushes new customers to newly acquired DirecTV, a sign the company is giving up on once-heralded plans to compete head-on with cable through telephone lines.

The biggest U.S. pay TV provider has stopped building U-verse set-top boxes and is nudging prospective customers toward its satellite unit, which has lower hardware and programming costs. The shift is the first stage of a plan to create a “home gateway” within three years that will consolidate all AT&T services and act as a central hub to deliver video to any device.

Quote:
The de-emphasis of U-verse underscores AT&T’s promise to squeeze $2.5 billion in annual cost savings from its purchase of DirecTV last year. The provider is under pressure to improve profit margins amid a wireless price war. It also faces $22 billion in capital spending, an estimated $10.6 billion cost to acquire new airwaves, about $6.5 billion in debt maturities and an $11 billion dividend this year, all while working to improve its credit rating.

Current U-verse subscribers will be able to retain the service, and AT&T is even offering new promotions to those who keep it. But new customers are being directed by its marketing department to choose the satellite package.
Fleeing Customers

The shift to DirecTV was reflected in fourth-quarter results. U-verse subscribers fell 4 percent, the worst loss ever, as 240,000 customers canceled service, the company said. And while DirecTV gains of 214,000 customers almost offset the loss, U-verse defectors helped pump up cable TV growth. Comcast Corp. had its biggest user gain in eight years.

AT&T says that while it’s focusing on DirecTV, it isn’t shutting down U-verse.

“To realize the many benefits of our DirecTV acquisition, we are leading our video marketing approach with DirecTV,” said Brad Burns, an AT&T spokesman. “However, our first priority is to listen to our customers and meet their needs, and if we determine a customer will be better served with the U-verse product, we offer attractive and compelling options.”

Unlike FiOS, which connected homes with super-fast fiber-optic lines, U-verse took a lower-cost approach by taking fiber cables to a neighborhood and then connecting them to existing copper lines that reach into homes.

This makes me wonder if my ADSL rates will be escalating in the future:
Quote:
With DirecTV, AT&T gets a national TV offering and lower programming costs. DirecTV’s 20 million subscribers give the parent company greater leverage in negotiations with media companies at a time of rising programming fees. Content costs are about $17 a month higher for U-verse customers than for DirecTV subscribers, Chief Financial Officer John Stephens said at an investor conference in November.

“The lower content costs makes DirecTV customers more profitable,” said Jennifer Fritzsche, an analyst with Wells Fargo Securities LLC. And if the TV feed can move to satellite, it takes the data traffic load off the U-verse broadband pipe, she said. “Then AT&T can sell faster broadband speeds for higher prices.

Watch out! Here comes GIGAPOWER:

Quote:
AT&T is hoping to combine its services -- Internet, satellite TV and wireless -- into one home device. As a potential part of that plan, the company is investing in GigaPower, a direct fiber-to-the home connection targeting 38 cities in 20 states. Because not all homes will get fiber, AT&T is developing a single-layer multipurpose hub that will use various inputs to send Web-based streaming video, on-demand shows and live programs to home TVs and mobile devices.

Yeah, right.....

Giga is so 90's.....call me when you offer TERRAPOWER....

Fortunately for us, we have FTTP, and have had Gigapower for about a month.

Keeping our uVerse since uVerse subscribers have no datacaps.

Interesting. This article is from Feb of this year. Since then, the place where I live has actually forced me to switch from DirecTV to U-Verse TV, and I'm not all that happy about it - picture quality on U-Verse is worse due to the high compression that they use.

AT&T wants to see all residential copper dead. They're still maintaining their copper(Tx carriers) and fiber for business and of course their cellular network needs the fiber backhaul to connect it to the PSTN(but that will also go the way of the dodo, VoLTE is more or less VoIP).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interesting. This article is from Feb of this year. Since then, the place where I live has actually forced me to switch from DirecTV to U-Verse TV, and I'm not all that happy about it - picture quality on U-Verse is worse due to the high compression that they use.

Yeah, the thing I like about Direct TV is the great picture quality. The installer told me it is true, full 1080....no compression. Don't know if that is 100% true, but it sure appears close....the picture quality is great. My old cable provider....not so much....barely better than the old standard broadcast signal.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
The installer told me it is true, full 1080....no compression.

That's a lie. There is compression. You can easily see compression artifacts when you look closely, but not as bad as U-Verse TV.

We had to have DirecTV for two years until uVerse and Charter got their act together in our new subdivision.

I went through three DirecTV DVRs in two years. I had the same uVerse DVR until a month ago when it was upgraded as part of the Gigapower install. (New RG and new DVR)

The upside of uVerse is far better availability compared to DirecTV. Storms don't seem to take it out like the satellite service.

I can count on one hand the outages we've had in the past 6.5 years with uVerse. Probably fewer than a single year of DirecTV.

Don't really know about picture quality. I think I get 1080i on the uVerse box....

Yeah, the thing I like about Direct TV is the great picture quality. The installer told me it is true, full 1080....no compression. Don't know if that is 100% true, but it sure appears close....the picture quality is great. My old cable provider....not so much....barely better than the old standard broadcast signal.

I have DT bundled with my phone and internet....every time I complain they credit my account $120. So now I complain every 5-6 weeks.

when att uverse enforced its bandwidth caps i fired them and switched to suddenlink which took advantage of att's stupidity and now had no caps for higher tiers.

We don't watch much TV, probably about 1hour or so a day may be less. The last time I paid for cable TV was before 2005-2006.

I had and still have antenna in the attic and can get more than 20-30 channels free, most of the TV broadcasters are on mount Wilson about 50-60 miles, but receptions are very good.

The antenna costed me about $40-50 and about half hours to install, and this save about $20-30/mo. For 10 years the saving is more than $2,000.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have DT bundled with my phone and internet....every time I complain they credit my account $120. So now I complain every 5-6 weeks.

How about every 2-3 weeks ? Then you will received monthly check from them.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
when att uverse enforced its bandwidth caps i fired them

BTW, if you have both Uverse Internet and Uverse TV, then there are no caps.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
when att uverse enforced its bandwidth caps i fired them

BTW, if you have both Uverse Internet and Uverse TV, then there are no caps.

yeah, that was their tactic to upsell, that just made me more determined to leave.

That's a lie. There is compression. You can easily see compression artifacts when you look closely, but not as bad as U-Verse TV.

Even if there is compression-the picture quality is light years ahead of the cable offerings.

AT&T doesn't offer new customers high speed internet in my area. They are through with expansion in this region. So I have to default to Comcast for HS internet. I wish I had more of a choice. Satellite TV would be the same net cost as Comcast. If I had more than 6 lousy channels in my area for TV reception I'd just dump the Xfinity. But not many options unless I stick to dial up...lol.

ATT is lousy. We had DirecTV, we were in our last month of contract they would not re-negotiate the rate.

We cancelled. Time warner just gave me 300 dollars to switch.

I would never deal with Data caps.

When I first moved to the area, we had UVERSE. The pixelation was terrible.

My new house, in the year 2016, in one of the fastest growing cities in Texas, UVERSE can only offer me a 7MB connection.

Time warner gave me a 300MB connection that has been rock solid. Also when we had tornados last year I was ticked that the DirecTV would go out when a drop of rain rolled over the house.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Even if there is compression-the picture quality is light years ahead of the cable offerings.

Our Comcast cable HD quality was on par if not better than DirecTV.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
ATT is lousy. We had DirecTV, we were in our last month of contract they would not re-negotiate the rate.

We cancelled. Time warner just gave me 300 dollars to switch.

I would never deal with Data caps.

When I first moved to the area, we had UVERSE. The pixelation was terrible.

My new house, in the year 2016, in one of the fastest growing cities in Texas, UVERSE can only offer me a 7MB connection.

Time warner gave me a 300MB connection that has been rock solid. Also when we had tornados last year I was ticked that the DirecTV would go out when a drop of rain rolled over the house.

And when your promotional period runs out with Time Warner you will be in the same situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Our Comcast cable HD quality was on par if not better than DirecTV.

Then they must use different compression rates in different areas-because mine is not.

Interesting thread. I'm using U-Verse right now, but only for internet access. I didn't know DirecTV had better picture quality for television. I'm wondering when our computers will be directly connected to the satellite like a satellite phone.

Back