At 65

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 65mph how fast is your engine turning?

84 Honda Civic wagon, 5-speed manual in 5th gear 65mph = 3K rpm.

Does slower engine speed at freeway commuting speeds equal less wear and longer engine life?

Hmm at 70 my 5 speed saturn is right around 2500 rpms, so I'd venture to say 2300-2400rpms at 65mph. Our kia probably runs about 1800-1900rpms at 65 since I know it runs 2000 at 70mph.

In theory I'd think the lower the rpms the less wear, it just makes sense as long as it's not so low it's lugging. However the difference is likely negligible, especially since Honda engines are known to last a while.. That being said 3k is a pretty healthy cruising rpm for a 4 banger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does slower engine speed at freeway commuting speeds equal less wear and longer engine life?

Theoretically, maybe, but engine design has more to do with it.

Realistically, normal highway cruising is the least stressful thing your engine will experience in its life (other than not running at all).

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Didnt we just go over this with post your rpms at 70.

Yes, but this is at 65.

Mathematically challenged, huh?

In that case we need a few more threads....

at 55
at 60
at 75
at ...

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Didnt we just go over this with post your rpms at 70.

Yes, but this is at 65.

Mathematically challenged, huh?

In that case we need a few more threads....

at 55
at 60
at 75
at ...

smile.gif

Actually it might be worth considering 35-45 because of lot of driving is done at that speed and with say a manual tranny one has the choice of several gears. Engine speed while avoiding lugging, might make a difference in wear and fuel mileage.

Actually it might be worth considering 35-45 because of lot of driving is done at that speed and with say a manual tranny one has the choice of several gears. Engine speed while avoiding lugging, might make a difference in wear and fuel mileage.

But at lower speeds you actually have a choice, as you can pick the gear that you want to balance this out, as you noted, so it becomes user driven. You have control.

I thought the original post at 70 was really about "how fast is your engine spinning when you're in last gear and you have no more gears to upshift to?" You have no control, really.

And I thought you guys were going to discuss retirement and drawing social security! I guess I am getting too old :)

At 65mph how fast is your engine turning?

84 Honda Civic wagon, 5-speed manual in 5th gear 65mph = 3K rpm.

F150 in sig - 1800 rpm.

IMO potentially. Take 2 identical vehicles, except for gear ratio, and the one that turns more rpm will wear out faster. But with adequate lubrication and without experimenting, the difference in wear probably won't matter since, as pointed out many times here, the engine will outlast the vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back